Husky's And Small Animals?

bemba

Yes I thought as much, but do you think if you were with them all the time (work from home) and have existing dogs that are fantastic with them it could work? When I got my ridgeback I was told she would kill everything but I did train her and now she knows if there is a predator around from the calls of the poultry free roaming, she will chase off Hawks, Goannas etc.

I have 4 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs as well as a cat. When the rabbits are out the dogs are in. I would not ever mix the two. Twice by accident noah has been there when they were out and he did not hurt them.but I now make sure that everyone knows I have the rabbits out and not just assume that they know cause I have the hay and straw baskets out.

Your dog, your choice. When it comes down to the nature vs nurture argument, it's hard to say since results vary depending on who the subject is. But keep in mind that these babies are an ancient breed. Thousands of years of instinct vs couple hundred of domestication plus a handful of months of training. No matter what you do that instinct will always, always be there. If you're not looking to risk the small animals' lives, I'd say keep the dog and the rest of the pack separated at all times. Should you have no choice but to mix them together, heavy supervision is required. Don't tempt fate by leaving them alone in the same room. I still don't understand why people would do that :(

The pup I'm getting is a Husky X so am hoping this may dull down the Husky's instinctual side. Attached is my little Shepherd pup Kodah (now 7 months old) hanging with the crew :) She was put in her place straight away from a few of the older/bigger birds and learnt a healthy respect for them. She did chase small chicks a couple of times in this phase but that was quickly nipped in the bud and now at 7 months she is completely oblivious to any of them.

post-12809-0-38544800-1422112228_thumb.j

post-12809-0-29743600-1422112245_thumb.j

post-12809-0-13651800-1422112256_thumb.j

We used to have meat chickens and laying eggs hens. And although Rex was only near them when I was there he was fine with them. I also had 2 holland lop bunnies about 2lbs each and Rex was fine with them. They were indoors all the time so spent alot of time with them. I guess it just depends on the dog. And I agree with emma, although the dog may be fine most of the time it would take just 1 second for things to turn around and someone to get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

My profile pic is the new puppy that is to be my future life long companion :D She arrives Tuesday!

I looked on you tube and there are a few videos of Husky's with chickens, so it is possible.

... I wouldn't rely on that. Just keep in mind that if one day you walked out the door to a bloodbath on your backyard, you can't blame the dog or her training.

Small furry / feathered fast moving food.

Instinct will win out over training. . . especially with free thinking breeds like huskies.

Have one or the other.

We will see :P I've done loads of training with my other dogs, plus I work from home on acreage. The new pup is Half Belgian Groenendael so this could very likely dull down the Husky side... No guarantees of course but I have spoken to people who have older siblings and they have said they are a delight to train and much easier to manage than a pure.

I have however also spoken to loads of breeders and did come across one who has his Husky's free roaming on his very large property with free range poultry etc and has never had any issues. Again no guarantees but I'm feeling very optimistic about it :) I'll keep you posted as to how she goes.

The pup I'm getting is a Husky X so am hoping this may dull down the Husky's instinctual side. Attached is my little Shepherd pup Kodah (now 7 months old) hanging with the crew :) She was put in her place straight away from a few of the older/bigger birds and learnt a healthy respect for them. She did chase small chicks a couple of times in this phase but that was quickly nipped in the bud and now at 7 months she is completely oblivious to any of them.

I know Rio would of killed this lot if left alone with them

I think often it's where people have read up on dog breeds but not actually put them through their paces are saying what can and can't be done. It's a combination of training and conditioning that is needed.

Keeping a dog seperated, penned up or in the house except to go potty is not putting it through it's paces. I think getting to know your dogs and developing clear communication so you have control is paramount. The dog needs a focus of interest that is not directly chicken / animal oriented. So giving the dog outlets for pent up energy so it's not channelled onto the poultry / animals so you can get to a point where poultry / animals are safe like household furniture in the company of the dogs.

I think often it's where people have read up on dog breeds but not actually put them through their paces are saying what can and can't be done. It's a combination of training and conditioning that is needed.

Keeping a dog seperated, penned up or in the house except to go potty is not putting it through it's paces. I think getting to know your dogs and developing clear communication so you have control is paramount. The dog needs a focus of interest that is not directly chicken / animal oriented. So giving the dog outlets for pent up energy so it's not channelled onto the poultry / animals so you can get to a point where poultry / animals are safe like household furniture in the company of the dogs.

Even if the dog is raised with them from a pup it can still go wrong , it's happened on here before :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Trust is a deadly disease. Usually for the smaller animal....

That said, I have had three huskies live in harmony with cats. That is not to say that I trust them entirely. One must always be aware of what is happening. Even after all these years, accidents can happen - as demonstrated by another HO owner whose huskies lived with their cat for six years. And then tragedy.

My girls are never allowed to be alone with the cat. During the day they are crated while the cat has free roaming of the home. Evenings, we watch them all. It's best to have one or the other. I know the potential for accidental death is always a risk. I have to accept that risk and should anything happen, it is not because the girls are "killers" it is because of the decision I made. If you cannot accept that, then no, you shouldn't have both.

• 3 weeks later...

Laska is such an amazing little dog! She is fantastic with all the other animals and is very smart! She is very co-ordinated almost like a cat! Not clumsy and floppy like most pups are. Here are some pics of her with the birds. She only once got a little excited when she saw tiny ducklings and wanted to investigate, but mother duck quickly put an end to that LOL.

post-12809-0-89656500-1425538293_thumb.j

post-12809-0-39138000-1425538296_thumb.j

post-12809-0-47277100-1425538298_thumb.j

Sarah has killed and eaten 8 wild rabbits this past summer, and has a very high prey drive. Her prey drive didn't appear like anything but play until she was two years old. I also have an Umbrella Cockatoo and I manage the schedule and environment such that the two are never together without the bird within arm's reach or on my shoulder/playpen, or Sarah is outside or crated.

Being a cross it's hard to predict how your pup's genetics combined but I would play it on the safe side. Be aware of canine body language and watch your pup for the first signs of prey drive. In Sarah it manifests as a hardening of her eyes' expression, standing "on her toes" and leaning forward, and the muscles in her thighs quivering.

God willing nothing happens to any of your animals but if in the future your dog does kill another of your animals, please don't blame the dog. He's only doing what is instinctual. And you may get lucky. Some Sibes have little to no prey drive. The problem is that it's impossible to know until something happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have two rabbits, one passed away last year at age 12.  

When Neb was a puppy we lived in a bigger place and they had their own room, so he didn't really see them.  Now they have a condo and get out time (just the remaining rabbit Eco is is 10).  

I can't trust him around them.  When Eco is out, he goes in the bedroom.  

He is fascinated by Eco.  He wants to eat her, he loves small creatures to kill.  He's fine with our cats, though occasionally will start to chase but is easy to call off.  

He also likes to go over to the condo and eat any pooh that has come out, but that's a different story :)  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have had Malamute and Huskies with our farmyard animals, chickens, geese, ducks, it does of course take training from a young age but it can be done. The horrible thing is the dogs seem more interested in the poop left behind lol!

Lots of exercise is key too :)