Puppy Nighttime Going Insane!!

ch1tt2rb3x

We have a 9week old girl husky, Luna, shes gorgeous and during the day behaves pretty well. We are gradually getting there with house training except for when we go out, she always poos in the kitchen! But at night we are going insane, weve tried all the tricks, a radio on, hot water bottle, clock and cuddly toys but all she does is wail all night and poo inside her crate...any suggestions please??? [emoji31]

Hello and welcome....

I had a terrible time with Skye until one day she just stopped doing it....the only thing is that she little and will need to go frequently, its not her fault and she will learn to hold herself but it takes time...the way i used to think about it was that if i had a baby and took its nappy off i wouldn't expect it not to go to the loo, and the same can be applied to baby dogs....we used to set an alarm and get up with her through the night and this helped massively.

It is frustrating and i used to dread going home because i knew i'd be faced with a mess to clear up and a pooey dog to bath, but i just got on with it, didn't scold her because it wasn't her fault and we carried on...like i say though, one day she just stopped.

Good luck 

Edited by Carly

Get yourself an alarm clock.  Set it to wake you every two hours through the night.  Take the dog out.  After a month or so, set it to wake you every three hours.  And at six months, you should get a full night's sleep.  That's how we did it with our Zoya.  It was rough, but she picked up the potty training pretty quickly.

We got told to add 1 hour to how many months she is for toilet trips so 3 hours but saturday night she went 5 without making a mess, we let her out if its been a couple of hours but she just whines constantly so we are struggling to sleep in between. Thing is she will poo in her crate if shes left on her own for 5 minutes so its not how long we leave her for. i understand itll take time but was just wondering if there was anything we could do to stop the whining...

Ignore it, the more attention you give her when she's making a fuss the more she will associate the two, by this I mean she will learn that making a fuss will get attention.....it's tough I know, you do have to be a little hard, it broke my heart to ignore Skye (and Holly when we first bought her home) but it does work in the end.....

We got told to add 1 hour to how many months she is for toilet trips so 3 hours but saturday night she went 5 without making a mess, we let her out if its been a couple of hours but she just whines constantly so we are struggling to sleep in between. Thing is she will poo in her crate if shes left on her own for 5 minutes so its not how long we leave her for. i understand itll take time but was just wondering if there was anything we could do to stop the whining...

That is her being a puppy. It's unfortunately normal. Get yourself a pair of earplugs and set an alarm like Dave said. Don't bet on how long she can hold it in, just take her out every two hours. She's only 9 weeks old so 3 hours don't work just yet.  (( This is precisely why I stick to rescues ))

That is her being a puppy. It's unfortunately normal. Get yourself a pair of earplugs and set an alarm like Dave said. Don't bet on how long she can hold it in, just take her out every two hours. She's only 9 weeks old so 3 hours don't work just yet. (( This is precisely why I stick to rescues ))

Yeah I planned on doing that but unfortunately then I cant hear our little girl if she cries and with her we thought best not to get a rescue as they can be abit more unpredictable.

What size is her crate ? Sometimes if the crates too big she would be more likely to go to the toilet in her crate. You should still take her out to be sure and try and not give her water too late :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats a good point as we got a medium crate to accommodate her growth but when she goes into it shell only sit in the front half, when she poos in it its always at the back. We just read about food and water late so weve started taking away her bowl about 2hours before bed, is that about right?

The crate needs to be big enough that the pup can move around in but not enough so they will feel the need to do the toilet in,maybe you can find something to make the cage smaller rather than having to get a new cage ? From what I remember that sounds about right :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats a good point as we got a medium crate to accommodate her growth but when she goes into it shell only sit in the front half, when she poos in it its always at the back. We just read about food and water late so weve started taking away her bowl about 2hours before bed, is that about right?

Aha, so she has a specific toilet spot? How do you clean them? Make sure you're not only using water. People mix some vinegar solution, but I always go with glass cleaner. This is what I do:

1) Clean accident with newspaper

2) Put newspaper on the garden to transfer scent (leave said newspaper there for a while before you throw 'em away)

3) Spray accident area with glass cleaner, dry with newspaper. Make sure dog doesn't get anywhere near the spot until glass cleaner dries.

4) If dog still insists so return to this spot, add a bug spray after step #3 as the cherry on top. Remember to make sure dog doesn't get close to said spot for 10-15 mins

EDIT: I just have to say this. Rescues are only unpredictable if you adopt from not-so-good animal control facilities. Rescue groups always make sure they know their dogs. They also let you know about everything they've learned about your chosen dog, including (and especially) the bad points. Sorry, I'm not against puppies or breeding. I just thought I'd share.

Edited by mydiamond

Aha, so she has a specific toilet spot? How do you clean them? Make sure you're not only using water. People mix some vinegar solution, but I always go with glass cleaner. This is what I do:

1) Clean accident with newspaper

2) Put newspaper on the garden to transfer scent (leave said newspaper there for a while before you throw 'em away)

3) Spray accident area with glass cleaner, dry with newspaper. Make sure dog doesn't get anywhere near the spot until glass cleaner dries.

4) If dog still insists so return to this spot, add a bug spray after step #3 as the cherry on top. Remember to make sure dog doesn't get close to said spot for 10-15 mins

EDIT: I just have to say this. Rescues are only unpredictable if you adopt from not-so-good animal control facilities. Rescue groups always make sure they know their dogs. They also let you know about everything they've learned about your chosen dog, including (and especially) the bad points. Sorry, I'm not against puppies or breeding. I just thought I'd share.

Yeah we clean with a specific scent stopper we bought from pets at home. Ironically though shes been much better today, i went out for an hour and a half and no accidents when i came home and she wasnt whining!! Yay!! With reference to rescues I hope I didnt offend, didnt mean to just friends of ours had a bad experience so that influenced us. Thanks for your advice :-)

Can you place the crate beside where you sleep? Ryn was awful, cried and screamed like a banshee, until I moved her crate beside my bed. Then, she was the perfect angel.

We could do but reluctant to bring her in our room as she still cries in her crate even when we are sat next to her...also were worried that if we have her in our room at night shell be worse when we leave her during the day, do you have that problem at all? And did you have to get up to let her out when she was a puppy?

We had two crates. We had a nighttime crate that was by the bed. Then we had a daytime crate in the dining room. She knew which was which and they had different commands. She never had a problem being left in the daytime crate during the day.

I got up every 2-3 hours until she was about 12 weeks old (for about three weeks), then she'd sleep mostly through the night.