Gsd Breeder Issue.

Bambi92

Hi all haven't posted in a while.

I'm in a bit of a pickle and I don't know if I can do anything and I don't know much about breeders. Hopeing someone might be able to help.

My OHs cousins dad is meant to be a registered breeder of GSD only problem is I can't find any info on this. I'll explain my problem with this person further down. I've never met this person they bring the puppies to sydney to sell (they are based in a rural town 5 hours or so from syd). They are only advertised on gumtree (a selling site) they are 8 weeks old vet checked, vacs and microchipped and are beautiful pups.

Now to my problem.

They have had 4 (the fourth coming down soon) litters in the last two months I'm not sure how many bitches they have in the second last litter the runt after having its vacs ended up very sick the next day they never took it to the vet because they didn't want to 'waste' money on it the poor baby died and then was chucked into the rubbish bin like a piece of trash.

They don't do background checks on the people these pups go to, they only go by what they think of the person when they turn up to pick up the pup.

Would you believe this person is a registered breeder? Or is my OHs cousin just saying this because he knows I hate BYBs and have reported them in the past?

What would you do in this situation? I can't pry into it and ask questions because I don't want his whole family on my doorstep abusing me for it the only way I can do that is make a fake facebook account and try and talk to them that way but if they ask to ring Its not going to work. They are also advertising them on a facebook group I just seen.

Thanks for any help and advice x

Don't walk - run! 

It sounds very dodgy to me. These days GSDs are prone to a huge amount of behavioural and physical conditions at the best of times. You would want to be very very sure of them before even considering a puppy. I would want to see full health reports on the sire and dam, and to know whether they work or show their dogs.

You can ask for the prefix name of the breeder and you will easily be able to check with dogsNSW as to whether they are registered. If you know the kennel name I will ask on an Aussie forum and find out what I can...obviously without doing anything that could cause you any family issues.

Having said all that it is entirely possible that they are okay and it is easy enough to find out, it just doesn't sound promising from what you have said.

I'm not looking for a pup lol can't have any more animals :(

I just disagree with them not taking the runt to the vet when it needed to be taken and not sure if they can be reported for it.

I looked on dogsnsw and they aren't there.

There's only 7 breeders in NSW that I could see for GSDs unless I searched it wrong.

They are beautiful looking dogs.

My sil had one but as he grew up he seemed to have a problem with his hind legs. He just wasn't walking properly to me it seemed to be his hips but I don't know.

They do seem dodgey to me but I don't know how to get any of the info with out it causing problems I've asked if they are breeders and they got shitty because I asked so I left it now they did this to the pup I'm questioning why they got shitty with me my gut told me something wasn't right.

I don't know if there's anything I can do with any info though

I'll see if I can find out if there is one :)

If there a registered breeder they would have a number or name associated with them wouldn't they? IVe never researched breeders because I've always rescued.

Yes there will be a prefix name registered with the Australian National Kennel Club  http://www.dogsnsw.org.au However it is pretty easy for people to say they are registered breeders as they may be registered by Grandma's hair dresser down the road for all we know  ;) There are some other registering bodies around that vary from okay to downright scams.

I'm in a similar situation. One of my Dad's coworkers is practically a BYB - they breed GSDs or something...purely for money. Many times I have been tempted to say something, but its not like they would listen anyways, they are the kind of people who might as well live in a trailer park (both intelligence and behaviour-wise.) 

I'll check them out jase see if I can find anything.

Elyse there's a few bybs around here that I'm aware of even the authorities are aware of them but they are still breeding :( it's so sad that people feel the need to use a dog to make money :( half of my ohs family has done it and think it's ok they did mention anything about it near me any more they know I'm against it and think I won't dob then in for it.

None of them are near there.

Oh really I didn't know they were doing that how do they know if they are or not though

They can be reported via the link. They should need to show their registration. Do you have a link?

I didn't know they had any policy for bybs as I've found a heap on there haven't looked recently though they might have changed it since I last looked when ever there advertised it never days registered breeder

I dunno the details, it could be a WA thing? All I know was I was told this by a Husky BYB at the park. Suffice it to say I didn't really engage in a conversation about it.