Howling And Talking?

keikosmum

Hi,

My puppy is now around 5 months old and doesn't seem to make any noises that I would associate with a husky. Her howling doesn't sound like a howl and only happens when she's angry that we've left her in the room that she stays in and she wants to come with us. The noises that she makes that sound as close to when you hear them 'talking' just sound like a longer version of her cry/howl. It's strange to describe!

Anyhow, do they all howl or do some never get to that stage? Is it her age that she can't seem to sound like the other ones i've heard haha? Any advice on encouraging this would be great or letting me know about your experiences with your own dogs :)

Some Howl, some "Talk" some are very quiet. some never shut up.

My Darwin Woos if he wants to go walkies or food.

Daughtry used to Blah, blah or make "I want one" noises but never woo'd or howled.

Niether of them bark much, Darwin will occasionally to get Echo to go play in the garden.

I have one of each....Skye is incredibly quiet, unless me and the OH are having a cuddle in which case she wants to know what on earth daddy is doing cuddling mummy when that's her job lol....then I have Holly who will "talk" the house down morning noon and night

WooWoo (Skye) woos when asked and when she wants something (so loads!) - will howl if encouraged to do so (hears dogs' barking/howling on the computer)

Granite talks when asked, growls in play and whimbles if we stop on a walk or when in the car - will howl if encouraged to do so (hears dogs' barking/howling on the computer). Barks at male strangers and if someone comes to the door

Luka is silent until he plays and then continually growls - cries when he has SA (rarely now) or when he thinks we're stopping in the car

Mila says "I love you" when asked and barks if someone comes to the door

The German (GSD) just barks at other dogs - real dogs or TV dogs, she's not fussed! :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's input :) It's helpful to know they're all so different and hopefully once she's a little bit older she'll get a little bit more vocal. I might regret wanting her to be more vocal if she does start talking and howling all the time though! 

Chula only really howls when she's outside and the neighbor's dog won't stop barking. She only started doing it a few months ago, and it's really mournful and sad sounding. When she's in the house, she will "talk", or woo and grumble like a proper husky, but she rarely barks unless she's trying to incite play.

Meeko is my big howler and my fiance encouraged it by giving him treats when he howled so now he never stops! Roux is a woo-er and likes to talk back, she sounds like she says her name a lot when she talks! Leloo howls and barks and Cara will huff if she thinks she sees something outside the window but is otherwise quiet unless rarely joining in on a group howl to be let out of bed in the morning. My Huskies have convinced my Akita that he is one of them and he tries to howl as well!

• 2 weeks later...

When I first adopted mine she would talk/bark incessantly if she was bored and wanted attention but after a couple weeks she gave it up all together- what she did to get my attention did the reverse- live and learn. Nowadays she woo's when she's happy to see me and sometimes lets out a growl if we play rough and I shove her back by the chest. Oh, and apparently she lets out a couple short cries when she see's me leave the house and exit the driveway- but I've never heard it.

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest rarely made a sound until we adopted the second. Now she talks all the time - often she is telling the adopted girl off, or to be quiet, or not to play with HER toys. And the rescue? She's not so much a howler or talker, rather, she winds up like a fire siren when she is excited.

I love it all. My first boy was always talking about something. But he had no idea he was canine. He would tell us OUT when he wanted out, tell me I LOVE YOU, and call me MOM when he wanted attention. All the girls do is bicker! LOL