Husky Crate Size Questions

adrenaline junkie

My answer here is going to be controversial I know given that the advice is to limit the amount of space a pup has in its crate, however we took the divider out of Skye's crate about two days after she went into it at twelve weeks....she was just a lot better without it

I'd say see how she copes with it - the diver will be good if she feels too un secure in"her space" be prepared for lots of tears - from you as well as the pup !  I cried when we got our first and crate trained him from day 1 - I could hear his little cries and had to leave him to settle, that broke my heart but was worth it :) x

Crate her from day one....it will be horrific, we can all assure you of that, but you have to be tough and stick with it for her own good as well as your own.

Prepare yourself for lots of puppy tears and tantrums, just don't give in and never go back whilst she mid tantrum!

Start by putting treats in her cage during the day, leave the door open, then built it up. Give her a treat and close the crate door for 5 mins just a gradual built up, Zena has never gone mad in her crate so it worked for us

I gave my boys their kibble as treats and didn't feed them as much when it was meal time so their tummies don't get a whole host of diff foods throughout the day.  Huskies can have sensitive tums so try a food that's grain and wheat free.

I crate trained from day 1 it was so hard but really worth it let her get used to it and then gradually increase the time she is in it throughout the day that way when she goes in at night she won't feel as scared.

Using a tshirt with your smell on may help as well 

I gave my boys their kibble as treats and didn't feed them as much when it was meal time so their tummies don't get a whole host of diff foods throughout the day. Huskies can have sensitive tums so try a food that's grain and wheat free.

I crate trained from day 1 it was so hard but really worth it let her get used to it and then gradually increase the time she is in it throughout the day that way when she goes in at night she won't feel as scared.

Using a tshirt with your smell on may help as well

Thank you Sarah. I will try that. Do you think if it would be ok to shower her once we bring her home ?

Thank you Sarah. I will try that. Do you think if it would be ok to shower her once we bring her home ?

Would she need it? They don't need regular baths - their coats help keep them clean and they're generally a clean breed anyway - i used baby wipes on their paws and bums when mine were little if you bath them too much they loose their natural oils in their coat and on their skin x

Would she need it? They don't need regular baths - their coats help keep them clean and they're generally a clean breed anyway - i used baby wipes on their paws and bums when mine were little if you bath them too much they loose their natural oils in their coat and on their skin x

I am not sure if she will need it. I'll have to wait til Saturday and see how it is then. I agree I'll get wipes

I'd let her settle first - you may find she has the runs because she's come to a new place and been taken from her litter mates and mum or she may betotally fine.  Let her settle then after a couple of weeks gradually switch over to the food you want to keep her on start with 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food for a few days then wean her onto it that way.

Overfeeding can cause runny bums too so as she's young, little and often will be better for her tiny tum.  As she isn't old enough to go out you could always use the food as a training aid - ask her to sit - when she does give her a treat but use her food instead of actual treats