Hello From Canada!

Sebastien

Hi,

I discovered this forum about one year ago when I was looking for information on Siberians Husky. Six months ago, my girlfriend and I got a nice Siberian Husky - Australian Shepherd mix dog, his name is Hachi, he is a little over 8 months now. He's been a good dog even though he's mischievous by moment :P

2zppd14.jpg

Some weeks ago we started having problems with him when going on our walks. His paws get cold after approximately 20 minutes outside. The past few weeks here it has been cold (around -30 C) but I still find it weird. Is it normal that his paws get cold that much? Can we do anything about it beside buying boots?

Also, we were recently in a car accident, we are all fine. But Hachi is now afraid of car rides. He still gets in the car on his own, but when I start driving, he starts shaking a lot. We tried giving him treats to get him to like car rides again but it doesn't work since he refuses to eat them. Do you have any ideas about what we could do to get him to like car rides again? He really enjoyed it before the accident.

PS: Hachi was wearing a harness which was buckled in the car. I really recommend to anyone bringing their dog in their cars to do the same. When the car rolled over twice, Hachi could have been ejected from the car and gotten severely injured or worse.

Hi,

I discovered this forum about one year ago when I was looking for information on Siberians Husky. Six months ago, my girlfriend and I got a nice Siberian Husky - Australian Shepherd mix dog, his name is Hachi, he is a little over 8 months now. He's been a good dog even though he's mischievous by moment :P

Some weeks ago we started having problems with him when going on our walks. His paws get cold after approximately 20 minutes outside. The past few weeks here it has been cold (around -30 C) but I still find it weird. Is it normal that his paws get cold that much? Can we do anything about it beside buying boots?

Also, we were recently in a car accident, we are all fine. But Hachi is now afraid of car rides. He still gets in the car on his own, but when I start driving, he starts shaking a lot. We tried giving him treats to get him to like car rides again but it doesn't work since he refuses to eat them. Do you have any ideas about what we could do to get him to like car rides again? He really enjoyed it before the accident.

PS: Hachi was wearing a harness which was buckled in the car. I really recommend to anyone bringing their dog in their cars to do the same. When the car rolled over twice, Hachi could have been ejected from the car and gotten severely injured or worse.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Its always nice to see a fellow Canadian on here. :)

I live in Ontario, and in these temperatures (again, like you in the -20s-30s range) my boy's paws haven't really gotten cold (he goes for 75 minute walks, and he's fine). Since Hachi is a mix, maybe he doesn't have as much fur around his paws than a purebred? That's the only thing I can think of.

The only way to solve this, I think, is to get dog booties. Try to get them from a sled dog outfitter, they'll probably last longer. 

Hello and welcome to the forum!  I am glad that you guys were all ok, that must have been very scary!  I agree with Nix, I would start out just by sitting in the car, turned off and try the treats.  Start with 10 minutes, go up to a half hour.  Then, move on to sitting in the car running (not as long), and then work up to driving around the block, then 10 min trip, etc until he is fine again.  One of mine is terrified of car rides and would throw up every time, so it has been rough.  I had to resort to drugs from the vet to help with the car sickness, but since this is not really car sickness, I don't think Benadryl or prescription drugs would work. 

Hi,

2zppd14.jpg

Hey, welcome to the board. Its finally nice to some Canadians here. I'm from Toronto. Glad to hear you're all fine. Everyone here is extremely helpful. Enjoy your stay here :)

welcome to the pack!

Glad you're all ok after the accident - try driving to the end of the road with him then get him out and walk him around and let him relax then pop him back in and go a bit further getting him out again and letting him wander around - maybe give him a toy when he gets out so he associates going in the car with something positive happening as an end result.

Also, try not to talk to him when he is in the car - trying to reassure him and say stuff like it's ok we will be there soon or dont be scared etc will be to a human - comforting, but to a dog that's reinforcing the current behaviour ie being scared.

Hope he gets better over time x

:hello:   and welcome.  Happy to hear you are all ok, must of been so scary.  Only time will reassure Hachi that he is safe.   Lucky fell down the stairs when he was very little and will not go up stairs.  Nearly 6 months and he is just starting to put his paws on the first step.  They do not forget but they can be helped to overcome there fears.  I have put very high value treats on the stairs and Mark has carried him upstairs.  He has stopped running away from them when you call him up now.  He will be comfortable with it one day but it will be when he is ready.   As Sarah said, be calm and show you confidence by just being there with him and take it slowly.  Just try to make it a normal journey like it was before.  Hard for you as well I would imagine. 

As for the paws in the cold, Boots are the only thing I can think of, not a problem in my part of the world.    :D

P.s he is a lovely X 

Thank you all for your help. I'll start by getting Hachi used to just being in the car then when he can tolerate being in the car, I'll start going on small rides.

Hello and welcome! I'm not sure if his would help, but I've heard that Mushers Secret paw protector wax is good as it helps protect the paws from the cold

It's funny you mention that, I actually bought some last week. It seems to help a little but Hachi takes pretty much all of it off before we even have time to go out XD