Help About Food And Stool Please

laurakelly08

I've had him for about 4 weeks. And it's always been the same since I had him. I took him vets he had a full check over was all ok. He was fed on dry food which I kept him on but he had soft poo and cause he gets caged it's a nightmare to clean every day so I wanted it hard as it should be or so I believe so ive put him on chicken and rice to see if thay helped but it hasn't made much difference x

I have had this problem a few times, mine are now both fed on Taste of The Wild which suits their tummies perfectly. They have raw chicken wings (bones and all) as well (but not at the same time as the dry food) and this helps to bind them.

Also, over feeding can cause all kinds of runny poops, we feed exactly what it says on the bag for their weights /age, it doesn't look a lot so we have to be careful not to give them just a bit more lol

it could well be the effect of overfeeding I know that if Alpha has to much he will have soft stool  he is ok now but right on the edge if he gets a bit to many treats he is soft again...

Tinned pumpkin is great for both diahorrea and constipation - we use Libby's (needs to be sugar free) as http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/4113/pumpkin-puree?gclid=CKiD2P7U_MMCFSXnwgod2EMAkg

We also feed whole chicken carcasses, wings, legs and backs, raw obviously, and the bone content binds them up

Make sure if you change food, that you do so gradually over a seven to ten day time span. Otherwise, you'll have more of the same or worse.  Good luck.

I had this problem for so long! Took forever to figure out what it was. Some dogs don't do well with chicken protein. My vet suggested that I try lamb instead. So I bought lamb and rice dry food and it has helped a lot. Still a little soft from time to time to pick up, so I also add a teaspoon of plain yogurt to her food at night. This helps tons... And it's good for them too :) try giving that a shot. Trust me, I know what you are going through and it's frustrating! And yes, do the change gradual. 75% current food, 25 new food, a few days later, go 50/50, few more days 25/75. Then it can take a week or so with the new food to firm it up if it's gonna work for him. Good luck :)