To Crate Or Not To Crate

Ezra442

Never crated mine except at camp.

I have gone through 2 sofas though.

As Nix says during the teenage years some dogs will slice and dice anything.

Furniture, mattresses, cushions, shoes clothing, Drywall, doors, stairs, carpet.

Some dogs do others don't.

However one thing to keep in mind.

A crate must be a safe place for the dog, not a place for time out or punishment.

Otherwise if you have to crate them while you go out then if it's

used for punishment. . . you'll never get them in there.

Mine are not crated, except when we go camping they love it then having their own den, and they can stay at home for a long time. But must say as they are both rescues Bindi was 1 and Alpha 1,5 years old when they came into our home...

Crate training is a useful tool as you never know when you might need to use it. I've got one who is successfully crate trained and one who's not. Thankfully the one who isn't has stopped being destructive now and so can be trusted not to destroy the house when we go out.

Every pup is different, but with Huskies I think generally it is recommended.  You will need to ease them into it, and teach them it is a good place to be, instead of using it as punishment. 

It will save them from destroying your things, and keep them safe!

We crate-train all, residents as well as fosters, for those times when we might need to crate. Currently, crate is permanently open and they all spend time in there at some time or other, sometimes sharing, as it's the 'peace and quiet' spot - at this moment, it's the German (GSD) who's sleeping in there

I absolutely advocate crate training. But it must be done correctly to be effective for you and your dog. My Sarah is in her crate right now napping. It's her safe, quiet, comfortable space to which she can retreat when she pleases.

I use the crate when we have visitors. She is so social she gets spastic, and when elderly people or children come through the door she is so excited she circles around their legs and inadvertently risks knocking the visitors down. So I crate her before I open the door, let the visitors get settled on the sofas and then let her out to say hello.

I also use the crate when the front door has to remain open for groceries coming in, moving furniture, etc. My worst nightmare is her seeing a squirrel or rabbit while someone is carrying in groceries and bolting out of the front door in full prey mode in spite of her training.

In order to be effective, proper training techniques are a must. The crate can never be used for punishment or made a "bad" place from the dog's perspective. I used "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller but there are many good books and threads regarding proper crate training. ETA: I also have a specific treat she gets only when she goes into the crate. That seems to help keep the crate a good place even when she doesn't necessarily want to go in, eg. when the doorbell rings.

I may be one of the few Siberian owners who has suffered only one or two small items destroyed by my Siberian (her toys aren't included in this.) I credit judicious use of the crate for this happy fact.

And remember that crate training is a fantastic method for housebreaking. If for nothing else I'd advocate crate training for that endeavor.

Good luck!

ETA: Here's a good article on crate training and its benefits if you're interested.

Edited by elenamarie