Training At 8 Weeks Advice Please

newsibehuskyowners

Hi All,

Some of my questions might have been covered by previous posts (I'm still reading through them, so bear with). We have a 9 week old boy husky who's been at home with us for 4 days. He's great fun and very spirited!

We're trying to toilet train him at the moment, and there are times when he does everything on the paper/pads. And other times when he seems to ignore that, and goes in random places in the house. Does anyone have any tips, an idea of how long it takes to train?

Hubby and I have also taken it in turns to sleep on the couch to watch him for the first few nights as he was anxious when he first moved in. But now he's settling, so it seems time for him to start sleeping on his own. He doesn't like his crate at all, but we're looking to create an area around the crate which is fenced so we can give him some space for his business and he cant destroy the house. Any tips for getting him to sleep calmly, Ive looked at the different threads about crate training. I guess I'm a bit nervous that we've taught him bad habits by letting him sleep on the floor while one of us has slept on the couch.

It can take several weeks/months to successfully toilet train, in all honesty it really depends on the dog in question as some will learn faster than others.  My female (Bear) was way quicker than my male (Ice) by a couple of months if I remember correctly.   I can't help much with the puppy pads as I didn't really use them. 

In all honesty, It might take a while to get him to adjust to a new sleeping arrangement if he's used to sleeping with you but if you stand your ground and keep at it then eventually he should learn to adjust to this new arrangement but in the meantime it could get a bit noisy.   Maybe giving him something with your scent on it may help to calm him.  Creating a den like atmsophere with the crate by placing a blanket over the top might also help to make it seem more appealing.     

My male Julius refused to go on the wee wee pad. But as soon as I took him in the backyard he went straight to the dirt and did his business . He was 7 wks old. Give it a try . 2yrs old now and never went in the house. He learned how to open the back door and let himself out. Now if he can only close the door behind him. Lol