Gentle Ice

Emma

My 7 year old niece came over yesterday after school for a visit.  Ice hasn't seen her for several months now and he's always been a bit wary of small children. 

He greeted her so gently compared to adults, no jumping up but plenty of gentle licks and wagging tails, he wouldn't leave her alone and let her stroke him all over without so much of a hint of feeling uncomfortable.  Normally he would take off upstairs and go to sleep somewhere quiet to avoid her.  He's really getting so much more confident with people recently, that it's become very noticeable.  It's nice that he's beginning to feel more relaxed and confident.  :)

Thanks.  :)

Now we're working on Ice still being uncomfortable with Paul since he got chucked off the bed last week.  Ever since that day, if he's resting and Paul comes over to stroke him he will growl quietly at him because he's feeling unsafe.   He's even gone back to growling softly at him if he tells him off.  Ice is such a sensitive soul, it doesn't take much to send him backwards a bit in his confidence.  

oh man he has put Paul on high ignore...

Alpha is sort of the same but that is because of the abuse he had with his first owner...we only have to raise our voices and he storms upstairs only to come down a few mins later and seeking reassurance from first me and then Di...

Yeah we think something similar has happened to Ice from his first owners.   He came to us a frightened and aggressive little ball of fury with a whole heap of issues to work through.  It's taken a very long time to try and build him up to the dog he could have been. 

Good boy Ice.

And I'm sure it makes your niece feel more comfortable around him too.

Awe, well done Ice, and well done Emma!  It must feel good to see the progress.  I feel the same way with Kodiak, he came to us scared and unsure of himself but is so much better now!

It is good to see him evolve. Particularly when it lasts. Ice's problem is that he tends to take two steps forwards and then all of a sudden he regresses. There's still lots of things I'd like to address but it's a case of slow and steady steps. One thing at a time. [emoji1]

Aww good for the both of you! Hopefully things only continue to progress!  :D And the jumping on adults thing...I honestly think it's because they want to lick us in the face and our faces are just so much further away than children's are! I know Meeko has a look in his eye that won't go away until I lean down to his level and let him lick and nibble on my nose!  :up: