Husky Still Unsure/scared?

singeaninja

Hey all,

I've had my puppy for 6 months now and i see very little change. I got her at 3 months.The plan was for her to be an inside dog but my mum couldn't deal with the

intense hair falling out (would a change in dog food help? I pet her and many, many strands fall. Much worse if i touch her body) so we put her outside. We always have the screen door opened so she can see us but cant come inside and i try my best to play as much as i can but it just doesn't work out as well as i'd like it too simply because she was re homed outside.

We go on daily walks and to the dog park every second day which she eagerly awaits but outside the dog park she is so damn scared, especially by my dad. No stranger, including my family can successfully pet her without her running away or moving aside. When anyone aside from me goes outside she rockets into her crate and doesn't come out even when called (not that she did much of that anyway ;/) until a piece of food is thrown close to her which she nips and back into the crate. The rare occasions when she is allowed inside, its straight under my computer table and not budging an inch. I have to drag her out.

I would have thought that the many walks seeing the world and the numerous amounts of dogs at the dog park, along with this time period (6 months) would have made her a tiny bit more comfortable and less scared of everything but its just not working. Do i need more time, is there anything i can do?

Lately, i've also been thinking its quite selfish keeping her all alone outside when there's probably someone else who would be happy to take her and keep her inside with them. Her issues might be solved by actually living with humans rather then sitting at the door hoping someone comes out :'(. Would it be best to give her to someone else who can properly take care of her?

edit: didnt give her away!

agree on a few parts I would however say use an undercoat rake instead of the furminator...change food will not help shedding...

human contact is best at all times

Ok i see, ill try different shampoo and ill get the rake, the only real issue is the hair, my mum plays with her quite a bit outside already.

Well rarely do people on our walks approach her but at the dog park everybody is around petting her, or at least trying to. I do see shes warmed up to a couple of females though. No men can pet her hahaha!

Time is probably an issue too, my dad doesn't interact much so that much be it. She does follow him around the yard though, its just as soon as she gets the attention is when the fear starts. Oh, and its not just 'oh my a big human is after me' she is terrified! All her muscles tense up and tail is glued to her belly. It takes quite a bit of force to get her off me when she decided i'm safe to hide on!

I spend as long as i can with her. I see her first thing in the morning, then i begin to do my morning rituals. I don't go outside for long periods of time but more short frequent bursts. I do notice though when shes inside she mostly sits under the table, only exploring the house when i go missing for too long. She's familiar with the couch, my room and under the table so shes usually just sitting there when we're home alone and rockets straight to the crate when she hears the garage door ;(.

Its impossible to get her not to be afraid.

I have a rescue that was mistreated badly by his previous owner and it toke him 2,5 hrs for him to come to us at the first meeting at the rescue centre, he is still afraid of people and built up areas and has a flee/flight attitude to it all, he is better then he was but after nearly 4 years with us it is still there....but a lot better...

when Alpha feels anxiety, which could be from us raising our voice or me talking loud on the phone he will retreated to the stair going to our loft to his comfort spot...see pic...

post-6001-0-54415000-1425395375_thumb.jp

What are you feeding? You will notice a definite change in the amount of fur lost when providing a good diet, including a high rated kibble or even better by feeding raw. Supplements, such as fish oil, coconut oil can also help with her coat.

Grooming is mandatory - please don't use the furminator or like products which can damage the guard coat.

Consider a bath in a good shampoo and brushing every day. I would also consider using a high velocity blower, if she will accept that, the first time. They are amazing. I have two huskies in the home and while we do still have fur balls, it's nothing like before I purchased the blower.

Huskies need to be with their humans.