Safe Age For Neutering?

daltor

hi - we have 2 girls (both spayed) & a recently acquired a rescue boy (now 9 months).

one of the girls is presently  sick with what we  thought was an anal gland problem but on taking her to the vet today he told us (without knowing we had a male dog) that the problem was a severe rectal infection  caused by "penetration".

my wife has arranged to have the boy neutered on friday  but i would prefer to wait until he is at least  12mths + thereby giving  his hormones a better chance to settle.

can anyone input regarding the above & also any experiences with a mixed sex neutered/spayed  pack particularly with respect to the male "humping" after being neutered?

i am assuming that  a spayed female  & a full male or a full female & a neutered male would be considered as incompatible  in any case?

cheers.

They are indeed incompatible as you say...Alpha has been done at around 2 years old so he knows the smells and he would try it on when Bindi was on heat,  she wouldn't have any of it until near the end when no other suitors have been around but then nothing happened...

As far as age is concerned there is a big discussion about that in the U.S. they do it earlier with the boy's then here in NL for example. But save to say that boyboy's that have been done earlier then your boy have no I'll effects...

Like Rob said, here in the U.S. they neuter younger, with some vets even doing it as soon as their testicles descend.  I had 2 of mine done at 4 months, is what my vet suggested.  Some will wait until they are 12-18 months old though.  Mine have never had any ill effects of having it done early

Most people wait until they are at least 12 months but some vets will do it as long as they are a minimum of 6 months

Like Rob said, here in the U.S. they neuter younger, with some vets even doing it as soon as their testicles descend.  I had 2 of mine done at 4 months, is what my vet suggested.  Some will wait until they are 12-18 months old though.  Mine have never had any ill effects of having it done early

I had my vet tell me I could get mine done at 4 months also, and I thought that seemed too early.  :huh: 

I've posted b4 - in UK min 18 months for large dogs but my vet advised me 2 yrs min with my Husky-Mal who was already 36kg at 18+ months. He was done 2 weeks short of 2 yrs. Now at 39.5 kg .....age 2.5 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk