How Did You Choose Your Huskies Name?

Sarah

Smokey's name picking involved Google and neighbours...

I Googled female husky names the day before I got her and made a short list, after getting her on the way back home there were only 2 choices left on the list: Akira (would've been shortened to Kira) and Smokey, which found its way on the list the moment I saw her paddling underneath the breeders gate to get out!

So being undecided, I showed her off to my parents and neighbours and every single one of them said 'Smokey' when they saw her... Needless to say the name got chosen!

She has many nicknames ranging from the Afrikaans for tick (bosluis) because she used to latch on to every dog she met and not let go like a tick, also Pokey as she pokes her paws into anything and everything (and Smokey Pokey rhymes!) Or Hocus Pocus because she escapes or disappears like magic!

Wollie was named by my dad for being so fluffy and Woolly as a pup.

Brolloks I already explsined in his thread, he was named after a character in a CJ Langenhoven storybook

Willow (my mom's Golden Retriever) I named after the Buffy character

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamond came with his name :) I honestly hated it but it stuck :lol:

My first betta fish True Blue Fantasy (True Blue) got his name picked out weeks before I brought him home. Blue was my coping mechanism with living away from the dog, so he *had* to have the word 'blue' somewhere in his name (because Dime got blue eyes!). Initially I considered The Blue Exorcist; a manga series title. But one whole week of brainstorming session later, I settled on True Blue Fantasy. Don't ask me why :)

Memory Lane, Blue's predecessor, arrived home 5-6 weeks after my painful goodbye with Blue. So I guess it's obvious why she's named like that.

Edited by mydiamond

We had originally picked the name Jack Frost for our all white pup... but after seeing mom and especially dad, we realized we needed a stronger name!  After much discussion on our 45 minute drive home we decided on Clark, the earth name for Superman! My husband is a huge superman fan and it just seemed strong and commanding as we know this guy will be!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cerberus - I'm infatuated with Greek mythology. So, of course I chose the best dog name of Greek mythology. The 3 headed guard dog of Hades. Kerberos, which can translate from greek to 'watch dog'. 

Which he certainly is not.  ;) When I tell people his name, those who know Greek mythology love it or love it even more after I explain meaning. 

Jasper was named after the red Jasper stone as he is a red husky. It had to be a name starting with J, as I got him exactly 1 week after my previous dog died, who's name was Jordan, named after Michael Jordan.

My girlfriend chose Mya's name... i couldn't tell you why :)