Hi. New To Huskies.

Merc

Hi everyone.

Last night we gave a home to a beautiful Siberian husky called Skye. She is about 19 months old and the poor thing has already had 2 previous homes. We don't know anything about the first home she lived in but I picked her up from a breeder who had no experience with huskies He only had Skye for a few days. He didn't want her because she was kept in a kennel outside and howled all night. She's a little under weight but I had her checked over by a vet this morning and everything else seems fine and she will be seen again in 2 weeks.

Skye has settled in so quickly and confidently checked the house and garden out as soon as she got here. She really had a good look for escape routes but I have 8ft high fences all round my garden and sunken gravel boards so she didn't find any. I have a 15 year old daughter who is in a wheelchair and Skye is so gentle with her. My son is 8 and Skye is technically his dog and slept peacefully and soundly the whole night at the bottom of his bed. It's safe to say Skye has at last found the home she deserves and we are so lucky to have her.

I run photo tours in Iceland and have spent a lot of time with working huskies there and in Finland but have only had Labradors in the past so there will be a bit of learning for me but the most important thing is she will be loved and cared for.

I'm glad there are experienced people on here that I can ask some questions when they arise.

Regards.

Mark.

:hello:  and Welcome.   Well done for giving Skye her forever home. They are most loving (in their very own individual way), frustrating, funny, maddening beautiful breed.  I had no idea what I was getting my self into when we brought Noah home, it was a real eye opener.  Would I swap him never.  

Sounds like an interesting job you have and lucky you having the opportunity to be with the working Huskies.

Hope to see photos soon :D

Welcome Mark.  You have done a most wonderful thing, giving a loving home to a Husky.  They are such a unique and beautiful breed.  Hoping for years of joy with Skye.

Oh wow she's beautiful!

Oh and welcome :)

Good on you for taking her on.  You will most likely be in for a bumpy ride :)  Thankfully she's past the puppy stage but huskies tend to mature later than most breeds.  Just be patient and consistant and she will give you so much in return.

Just ask if you have any questions, there's bound to be someone who's been through the same thing :)

Thanks again for the welcome. :-)

Skye has settled in so well and is loving her walks. Oliver's school is about a mile from our house so we walk to school and pick Oliver up again in the afternoon. Plus Skye has extra walks down the beach. For a dog that has had so much upheaval in her life she really is doing so well.

Yesterday Skye became a little protective of her toys. She didn't snap but growled a couple of times so we'll need to work on that. We are struggling a little with feeding. Previously my dogs have been on James Wellbeloved or Eukanuba. The guy we got Skye from said she was on Eukanuba. Skye won't eat it, she does better with James Wellbeloved but still isn't eating as much as she should. The guy we got her from also said he fed her a lot of sausage rolls which is not happening here. I think he's made my job of getting Skye on a decent diet a lot harder! I know Huskies can be very fussy eaters unlike my Lab's in the past. What do you all feed your dogs on?

My two are on Taste of The Wild...we tried James Wellbeloved but it made Skye sick for some reason? TOTW seems to suit their sensitive tummies so whilst its expensive (because its imported from the US) we stick to it because trying to change just causes problems.

My Skye is a toy protector too, i have known her to guard one in her crate for the entire day and growl at anyone who goes near....stupid really because Holly doesn't give two hoots about toys lol