Energy Levels

Zani

Hello peeps, just a question to see if any one else may be in the same situation as myself.

When my Keira was in her younger years between 1 and 2... she was a manic hyperactive dog. .. standard husky.

- She would run and run... on one weekend i took her on a 7 hour bike ride and she was non stop.

Now.... she is 4.5 years old... so by no means an old dog but she does not have the energy any more. She gets shattered after 45 min to an hour when out alongside the bike. Even when i went running with her on Sunday. .. i had to slow down on the return route as she was too tired to keep up.

Im not complaining as obviously she needs less exercise to tire. But has any one else's dog become less active by a substantial amount?

Edit: She weighs 36kg

19a30a63f20297e71bd285d548435379.jpg

It's my understanding that between the ages of 4 and 7 huskies are supposed to be in their physical prime. At least that's what I've been told by those who race them.

But my girl is only two as of March 29th, and she's still all get up and go- so that's just hearsay.

Hidden

How old was she when you were doing these big runs?

Growth plates do not close until 2 years with some dogs. And even conditioned dogs wouldn't be run in harness for that long by their musher. 

I hate to say it, but it may be less of tiredness, as it could be discomfort. I would recommend a vet visit. Perhaps even xrays to look at the joints.

I forgot to add she is a chunky sibe.. weighing 36kg (not fat but muscular)

Jmscott i waited till she was 18 months old till we hit the long runs... as the info i acted on was to exercise them for 5 minutes per month of ages till 14 to 16 months. I seriously doubt it's discomfort as she shows no signs when i play with her... she still wants to play tug and mess around when we get home.

She has had regular vet check ups... and vet said xray was not necessary.

Thanks for the feedback

She has been on raw since she was about 5 months old and the rotation of meats hasn't changed, her behaviour has been this was for over 2 years even throughout winter periods. During summer she tires much quicker which is completely understandable.

My boy is approx 3 years old now and will still run and play until we all say 'enough' :)  He is 28kgish so a bigger sibe than some.  I think they are all different, I wouldn't worry, if the vet says she's ok then......

My Mally is 40kg and almost 7, she's still like a puppy in most respects, my sibe is the grandad of the pack :)

Hidden

Structurally I see some issues that will likely limit her running capability.  To be honest 4.5 years old isn't old enough to see an endurance taper like that in a structurally sound dog.  However, it all begins with us as responsible owners.  A good run/rest schedule, proper resistance training, and building up endurance to handle long distance/extended time running styles.  Even a typical Iditarod schedule is 3hrs running/3hrs resting, never a 7hr non-stop stretch.

Hi huskymom09 perhaps i wasn't clear when describing the run...

She had several stops along the route where she had a swim, cool off and settle. I didn't actually make her run for 7 straight hours but just the fact we were out for 7 hours. I was merely describing her enthusiasm. Also she was not pulling anything or carried any load. I used it as a comparison, and it was not a frequent event, in fact it was a one off.

-She is very well looked after.

What do you see that is structurally wrong?

I put it down to weighing 36kg... as when she was very active she weighed 23kg with an athletic physique. (50% weight gain)

Hidden

Her top line is very poor, shoulders are steep, and straight stifles.  Overall I think these are issues that will limit her comfort in harness work.  You may not see it until later parts of your run.

Her overall conditioning doesn't reflect a consistent working schedule, which will result in lacking endurance as well.  If 45 min runs are too much, cut them shorter.  Work up to 45min and then beyond.

Hi huskymom09 perhaps i wasn't clear when describing the run...

She had several stops along the route where she had a swim, cool off and settle. I didn't actually make her run for 7 straight hours but just the fact we were out for 7 hours. I was merely describing her enthusiasm. Also she was not pulling anything or carried any load. I used it as a comparison, and it was not a frequent event, in fact it was a one off.

-She is very well looked after.

What do you see that is structurally wrong?

I put it down to weighing 36kg... as when she was very active she weighed 23kg with an athletic physique. (50% weight gain)

So do you feel she's overweight? Can you feel ribs and spine under that lovely coat? 

What do you feed her? maybe her diet needs changing up to a higher protein one.  

If it were me I'd introduce a higher protein diet and cut back the amounts I was feeding, cut back her exercise to say 30 mins, then see if this makes a difference, then gradually increase exercise and then in turn up her food intake.

Personally though I wouldn't worry too much, if she's happy and healthy that's the main thing :)

Thanks for all the info...

To answer a few questions:

-Her diet hasn't changed since she was 6 months (only quantity ). She is on raw. - She's on 180grams of meat plus veg twice a day plus bones and some treats.

-I don't think she is over weight just a stocky girl. - vet always says she is in great shape/health

-She does not do any harness work. Her exercise has been 5 minutes per month of ages up to the age of 18months.

-We have always gone at her pace... the faster she goes the faster i cycle. She has effectively conditioned herself.

I'm not worried about it. She always looks happy, so im happy.

You're right Clare.

To put it simply.... Dogs are like people... they come in all shapes and sizes. Sure she may not be built to be a working sibe but that's not what she is intended for.... she's my fur baby, and if she wants to have a stroll around instead of running across the country... that's what she will do :)

Ok so I found a pic of Keira @ 5 months old, her back line has not changed since she was a pup.

keira_zps74qlmuwz.jpg

I put her fatigue down to the following:

- Neutered female, weighing 50% more body mass (muscle not fat) ... carrying extra weight increasing body temperature must faster then normal + needing more energy to move such weight. Even when I carry plenty of water she is the same, it's not dehydration - she has a sudden mad moment each time she goes for a swim.

- Being 4.5 years old and not a trained sled dog - has calmed down... she gets to run twice a day she knows she can do so.. and so isn't looking to bolt at any given chance.

You were running her like a working dog. Her structural limitations can still be seen in her younger photo.

Hi Scott, like you said her structural limitations are present in her younger photo. This doesn't explain why she was so manic (typical husky) for 2 or so years after this photo and then changed temperament. Which was a gradual thing as I didn't notice it at first.

- As previously explained, her exercise was limited to 5 minutes per month of age upto 18months

- On a separate note, I used one run as an example and stated it was in fact a one off. So please don't tell me how i exercised my dog as you don't have any facts to base that decision on.

Thanks