Has Anyone Had Issues Like This With There Husky? Advice Please

Jadey101

My 7 month old husky will pee when I go to put his lead on his collar. It's like he is scared but i don't understand because its just started happening this past month. He is fine when I take it off or go near him without the lead. We have tried everything to stop this. We will fuss him for ages and play with his toys and try to sneak it on but nothing's working. We have also tried giving him a treat when we put it on but he knows and pees. Is there any advice to try and stop this?

Could be one of two things off the top of my head.

1. He's so excited to go for a walk that he can't contain it.

2. he's been frightened by something on a walk and he's anxious at the thought of going out

I don't think its excitement becAuse he will run away into his kennel. he will cower and run away while peeing. Also when we get outside I will let him off and he will run about happy as Larry never had a problem while he's been out.

I don't know if it would help but I'm thinking about putting a harness on to clip on from the back? Rather than around his neck.

Treats very high value.  Put the lead on Treat, take the lead off. treat.  Repeat leaving the lead on for a little longer each time.  Then try walking a little way, still in the house, once he is comfortable walk him to the door open it, treat then shut it. Once he is comfortable with that take a step out side and give a little tug and hold out treat. so on and so forth.  little steps to give him confidence.

Note only use a treat he really values for this and only give it to him when you are doing this. 

I wish you the best and the harness with the lead attachment sounds like a good idea.  Its hard when they have a phobia, Lucky has only so far managed to go half way up the stairs, but that's half way more than he would when we first brought him home.  He would run in the other room to his crate if he thought we were asking him to go upstairs.

He's been traumatized... you've now got your work cut out and from the sounds of things... this is going to take months + to fully correct.

Time for some desensitization training... brake down your routine of putting the leash on him into incredibly small parts.

Reaching for the leash...

Grabbing the leash...

Picking it up...

Putting it down...

Repeat 100x

Move towards him with it...

Move closer to him with it...

Move closer to him with it...

Touch him with it...

Pet him with it...

Repeat 200x

Clip it on his collar for half a second...

Clip it on his collar for 1 second...

Clip it on his collar for 2 seconds...

Clip it on his collar for 3 seconds...

ETC...

I assume you get the picture?

p.s. never rush the process otherwise it'll only get worse.

Yeah thanks. We've figured its the chain that's scaring him when he's outside on a night. So when I go to put his lead on to go on a walk he relates and gets upset.

We put him outside as he was destroying everything and he won't take to the crate at all. I've been advised to get a dog trainer but I'm going to try and work it out now I know the problem.

Thanks for the advice guys!