Luna's Leg

Jennifer&Luna

Hi everyone I'm after some advice/opinions. So yesterday after spending a beautiful day out in the garden with the family Luna suffered a bang to the leg. We keep a baby gate on the decking to restrict the area our dogs can be in when we aren't out with them. Luna came bounding up the decking stairs and ran straight into the OPEN baby gate. She instantly whined and howled for around 30 to 45 seconds. My husband picked her up and calmed her down and gave her treats which she was happy to eat. Straight after she began to limp. Later on in the night the limp improved but still not walking perfectly. This morning the slight limp is still there no swelling at all and she is fine with me touching the leg. We have had a leg break in the past from our miniature jack Russell and it was nothing like this. His leg was swollen massively and he wouldn't even attempt to put it down. Since Luna is putting weight on the leg and no swelling in guessing this isn't a break. Maybe a bruise since it was a bang ( I don't know if dogs even get bruises) hubby seems to think it will right it's self in a couple of days what do you think? I do have a tendency to panic and overthink things so any advice or oppinions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to rush off to the vet for everything ( which I kinda do to be honest) and get the usual come back in a couple of days if no improvement. Thanks in advance guys xxxx

it could be a bruise...I personally would keep an eye on her to see if she would put weight on it and if the limping gets worse or better till about tonight if no improvement visit the vet tomorrow morning...

Thanks for the reply she is limping but is putting weight on it the limp is very slight more like a hobble to be honest. I do think it's better than yesterday and certainly better than when it first happened. Might it be a good idea not to walk her today to try and rest it ?

Snowy had a limp after we did some very steep hill climbs a few months ago.  He didn't have any swelling or anything so we just kept his walks to a minimum for about a week and it got better by itself.

I guess deep down you will know whats best for Luna :)

Yes your probably right. Although I can be a bit of a paniker at times I don't know why. while we have had other dogs she is our first husky I don't know why but I feel like she is fragile haha hubby says I treat her as though she is made of gold. Small things I would have brushed off if it where the other dogs are suddenly really serious when it's luna. I think I'm becoming slightly obsessed with my husky lol