Job Choices

Jay

So I started a new job in October of last year.  The benefits are really good, and the pay is decent (plus I just got a raise after 6 months!).  However, it is in Chicago, so it takes me a 25 minute drive to the train station, plus 45 minute train ride, and another 10 minute walk to the office, so the commute is pretty brutal, especially in the winter!!

I like the work, it's a small law firm and the attorneys are pretty cool and all.  It can get stressful, but that's expected with most jobs.  The "office manager" is another story.  She was just promoted to that position right before I started, and she has a HUGE power trip going on.  She can nitpick at the most ridiculous things, and a girl I work with gets the brunt of her criticism.  She is very micromanaging and has no people skills and can be very rude to people.  She likes me at the moment, but I can see how she CAN Be, and probably will be towards me.

Anyway, I have another job opportunity, and an interview coming up with a national insurance company as a Legal Assistant.  Their office is about 1/2 mile from my house, and they have good benefits (not as good as the place I am at, but still pretty good), and competitive pay (however I don't know the number yet).  They would have more advancement opportunity and a more structured environment, so I would know more what is expected of me, rather than some crazy person deciding daily what she thinks we should be doing.   

Not sure what I would do if offered the job.  Part of me says take it, because of the commute alone, but part of me thinks leaving a job after 6 months might be a negative.  I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there!  

Anyway, just wanted to get my thoughts out there!  Thanks for listening!

I don't think any future employers would have anything against you leaving a job after 6 months. If anything it might show you're always up for trying new things. Just a thought, but perhaps the shorter commute would mean ultimately you end up making more than you do currently, even if the pay rate is slightly lower? :)

I don't think I could stand a commute longer than about half an hour to work every day, especially using public transport.

Edited by Dan

Yeah the commute is exhausting.  I work 9-5, but I leave in the morning at 7:30, and get home at 6:30, however this current job is pretty flexible and I get to leave early a lot.  Like last week, I left at least 15 min early every day, so I was only around 6:15 instead.  But a 1-2 minute commute would be amazing lol

A job is there to better yourself I believe that a 5 min commute is bettering yourself and I would, given the money is ok, take it nobody would look at you strange for bettering yourself...Well that is imo.   

My hubby used to commute, it was a 90 minute drive each way.  It really got him down and he missed alot of the kids growing up, leaving before they were up and returning after they'd gone to bed.

Life is too short to be sitting in a car, bus or train.  Personally I think it's a no brainer! :)

If you were job hopping consistently then it would look bad on your cv but not just for one job. We've all had a job we didn't stick at too long but others that we have stayed at for years.

The choice is yours ultimately but for me if the pay is decent enough i would be inclined to take the new job. You have to be happy where you are to some degree or else what's the point?

The last 2 jobs I had for 5 years each so yeah I haven't job hopped too much so I don't think it would look bad.

Yeah I feel like I have no time in the evening and miss my dogs lol. And if something happens it's a lot harder to get home quickly. I have a phone interview today with HR and an in person interview hopefully Friday with management. Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you the best of luck with you phone  interview.   I would take the pay cut and spend more time at home with the furkids, I am sure they will appreciate it :D  .  The 6 months i would think is not an issue and you have a history of stability and loyalty.   The office manager  sounds horrible.

:up:

She really is horrible, although she hasn't been mean to me.  She did a review of my co-worker and she was criticizing her about throwing away paper clips on old documents we had to get rid of, and adjusting the reception chair when she fills in for the receptionist. At that is only a couple examples!

I used to work in London which meant I was out from 7 till 7. I took a huge pay cut to get out of the city and be closer to home, my first move was only for a short time, to a company 30 minutes drive from home. When interviewed, my current employer actually saw that short spell as a positive. It showed commitment to my personal wellbeing and goals. They said that to be happier outside work makes a better employee.

I now work 5 mins from home, 9-5. Yes I take calls from Directors at 10pm on occasion, I'm closest to the office so deal with emergency stuff out of hours and work long hours when it demands. I earn less than I did ten years ago. I drive a 16 year old car and dont take fancy holidays. I would not change it for the world. It is 6pm and when I finish this beer I'm taking Logan for a long walk to a pub garden.

I think what I'm saying is..... Go for it and Good luck.

My interview was today, I think it went well.  I felt that I made a good impression and they seemed to like me and my answers.  The job does sounds a lot what I do already, so hopefully I will hear something in the next couple of weeks.  

Meanwhile our office manager has been unbearable!!  She is making one of the girls in the office miserable, and one of the women is going to talk to the owner of the firm to let him know what's going on.  I am not sure if that's going to work, but it's worth a shot.  

Send a thank you note to the person you interviewed with. Just a simple thank you can separate you from any competition.