Yukon

Jay

Yukon had more seizures today. We have been trying to get his meds right but about once a month he has been having breakthrough seizures. Well today he had one in his crate and pooped all over. The. When I was bathing him he had 2 more. The vet was closed so I gave him some valium to calm him down and he hasn't had another one yet. I have to call the vet in the morning or if he has another one I'll have to take him to the emergency vet.

It's been a stressful day today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vet increased his dosage of phenobarbital again and in 3 weeks we will do another test to see what his levels are. If he still has seizures more than once every 2-3 months he is going to include potassium bromide with the pheno. He's doing fine today sitting under the table waiting for food scraps lol post-7184-1429204417076_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It's been almost a week now, and he hasn't had anymore seizures.  We increased his dose to 97mb 3 times a day.  We still have to go in 4-6 weeks for another test to check his levels, and he could still have seizures for the next couple weeks.

Hopefully this is under control!  We went 8 months seizure free right after he started having them, so hopefully we can get back to that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update for Yukon.  He did have another seizure on May 30th, and it was a mild one but I was hoping that the new dosage would prevent them.   We went to the vet on Saturday and he checked the phenobarbital levels.  I got the results today, and his level is at 50, and the therapeutic range is 10-40, and anything over 40 can be toxic.  So, we have to lower his dosage , and I am hoping they put him on another drug too so we can stop the seizures and keep his levels at an acceptable level.  

There are other drugs out there but pheno is the best at controlling them. The others aren't as effective on their own but can be used in conjunction with the pheno.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks yea he is epileptic and on phenobarbital. I'm going to talk to the vet on Saturday about his medications to see if he can give him something else. He had another seizure last weekend, he is averaging one every 4-6 weeks since last October.