Yukon

Jay

So I talked to the vet today. He wanted to know if he ever had a thyroid test, and said he a thyroid issue which could cause seizures in dogs. They would have to do a test and if it is, a simple supplement would be needed and he would be off the seizure medication. So we will be doing the test next week. The vet recommended at least do the test so we will know for sure. Worst thing is that we continue on the seizure meds. Best thing would be if he did have what he called autoimmune thyroidistics (sp?). Then we just had a supplement that is not expensive. For now, he is adding Keppra and we are decreasing the pheno in half. I went to get the prescription at my pharmacy and it was $170 for a month supply!! Luckily we went to Costco and they transferred it and it was only $25!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the thyroid test came back normal, so it is not that.  He had another seizure on July 1st, and the vet increased the Keppra to 750mg 3x a day along with 1/2 pheno pill.  That seemed to be doing the trick until yesterday...

Yesterday he had a pretty big seizure at 5:30, and then about 10 minutes later he had a milder seizure.  Then, while out on a walk he had another seizure around 9pm. 

I have to talk to the vet again to see how we can control these because it still isn't working.  I know it's really important to make sure the Keppra is given every time, because unlike pheno where it takes weeks to stabilize, missing one dose can cause a seizure.  To my knowledge, we have not missed any doses, but I am not the one who gives his mid-day dose, so I can't be 100% sure.  I guess it is possible that when it was given to him the pill fell out, but I haven't found any random pills anywhere. 

It's sad and I hope we can get these under control soon :(

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had better news, but sadly I do not.  Yukon had a series of seizures last night and again this morning :(  The new meds are not working, so far the vet is advising to increase them again.  He also said that we could see a neurologist and get an MRI and CAT scan to see if he could have a brain tumor that is causing the seizures. 

It makes sense to me, because he started having them in Nov. 2013, and didn't have anymore until July 2014.  Then, starting last October he has been having them every 2-4 weeks :(  To me, that says that it could be getting bigger if it is a tumor.  I pray that it's not that, not only financially but for his sake.   I can't really afford the thousands for the scans, but I am going to try and figure something out.  I never got pet insurance, but I signed up now, but its a gamble if they will pay out.  Even though this could be considered a different visit, the seizures are the underlying cause, so its likely they would deny it anyway.

If I don't go with the MRI and just keep him on these drugs, there is not much I can do but hope that he survives.  The vet said he has never had to prescribe this much Keppra to control the seizures, but good news is there is never too much that he can have, like Pheno.

I think I'm going to stick with his treatment for now. There's not much I can do. Besides financially, if I do the MRI, and he does have a tumor, what can they do? Give him radiation and chemo? And then how will his quality of life be? How much can time does that give him? It would be selfish to prolong his suffering like that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a hard call to make isn't it.  Brooke's got a new lump which is most likely cancerous.  Basically at 14 years of age, back legs that are giving out on her so she collapses, becoming senile, slight incontinence trouble, deaf and almost blind.  I have to ask myself if it's fair to start treatment when it's not neccessarily a cure all solution.  In Brooke's case all we're after is palliative care.  Her time is coming very soon and to have her spend her last days drugged up on chemo isn't fair or in her best interests.

I saw a vet program last night and there was an elderly dog with a tumour and the vet said that the radiotherapy and chemo wasn't a traumatic experience for the dog like it is for people.  They don't get as sick.  However the dog in question was only going to get a maximum of a years life with the treatment and the owners jumped all over it.  I can see how you would want to buy as much time with them as you can but a part of me couldn't help but question who's benefit was it for? The dog was dying and in pain regardless of treatment.  extending the time they were in pain seemed more like the owners struggling to let go rather than being of real benefit to the dog.  It's a horrible situation to be facng but at the end of the day all you can really do is keep them comfortable, shower them with love and reassurance and pray for the strength to keep going.  

Good luck Jay.  We don't know it's a tumour yet, there's still plenty of hope for Yukon.  Xxxx

Thanks. I might have just got myself worked up thinking the worst, it could be just getting the meds right. All I can do now is take it day by day and enjoy my time with him. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's understandable, and I'll be honest with you I am exactly the same.  Always running away with myself and thinking of the worst case scenario.   It might help to ask the vet what exactly could be done if it was a tumour (which im definitely not saying it is!)  Could it be completely cured?  The answers you get from that would probably affect your choices on treatment plans  and help to  reinforce your decisions.  Stop you from second guessing yourself.  

In a straight forward illness situation  we would get all the tests done to diagnose a condition and treat it accordingly, but when the outcome of the diagnosis won't affect the treatment already being given then it's a different ball game.  That's what we found with Bear.  She was on steroids to stop her being so Ill.  It is either addisons disese or inflammatory bowel disease (autoimmune problem where the body attacks the bowel).  We can't test for addisons as the steroids affect the test results and an endoscopy won't change anything that was already being done.  So the vet actually advised us against performing the investigation.  Said it would present further risks to her without actually being of any gain.  She was already on the treatment and that was the important thing.  The vet was confident that it's probably the inflammatory bowel disease but either way in Bear's case the treatment is the same. Lifelong steroid therapy.   Nothing else works.  

I'm so sorry Jay.  

I searched about seizure in my country's sites and found that Zonisamide is pretty much prescribed for canines.   

Thinking of you and Yukon.

My vet is prescribing the Keppra Extended Release, which might help. He agreed that the MRI isn't necessary at this point right now.  He is also researching Zonisamide to add as well.

• 1 month later...

Another update.  Unfortunately it is not a  good one.  on August 13-14th he had 3 more seizures, and then we started him on the extended release version of Keppra hoping that would do the trick.  Almost 2 weeks exactly, yesterday morning he had the worst cluster to date.  It started around 8:15am and he had 6 in a row for about an hour.  He would have one, then come out of it, but another one would start just minutes afterwards. 

I was on my way to work and had to get off the train and pick up another train back home, and he had his 7th of the day in the afternoon.  I talked to the vet, and for right now we are going to increase the phenobarbital again and see if that helps.  If not, he may try potassium bromide. 

It was an exhausting day to say the least, and the poor guy seemed so tired.  Also, afterwards (even this morning) he did not seem to have great coordination, and was very very stubborn, trying to steal the other's treats, eat their food and getting into trouble (which he NEVER does!)

Here is hoping there is some progress :(

Jay, I feel for you.  It seems these furbabies intertwine themselves into our lives and we will go to the ends of the earth for them.  Best of luck for Yukon.  It's got to be tough, not only on him, but on you as well.  Stay focused for him.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I haven't updated this thread in awhile, so I thought I would share.  Unfortunately, it's not a good update.  He went the whole month of September without any seizures, but then in the beginning of October he had the worst cluster as of that date, about 9 within a 6 hour period.  A couple weeks later, he had a few more, and then we went almost 2 months without any seizures until around Christmas.  He had another cluster of about 10 seizures in a 3 day period.  Around that time, I began to realize that I switched his food, still Taste of the Wild, but from a salmon-based food to a meat based one.  The times where he did the best was on the meat-based formula, so I talked to the vet and he said it could be a reason for it, and if it works for him to keep him on the meat-based food.  So thats what I did, and he went another 2 months seizure free until this week.

Starting on Monday, he had his worst clusters yet.  They started at night, and in total he has had 12 seizures, the last one being Wednesday night around 1 a.m.  He hasn't had any since then, but his behavior has definitely changed.  Right after one of them, I was trying to get him to go potty and guiding him to the place and he got aggressive and snapped at me.  It didn't really break the skin, but it's the first time he ever tried biting me.  He is also being very restless and won't listen to me at all.  He constantly wanders around, panting and sometimes whining. 

I consulted my vet, and he is concerned with the behavioral changes.  It could be that it's just taking him longer to snap out of the post-seizure phase, or this could be what we feared before, that it is a brain tumor.  He said he could refer me to a university near by that has a great veterinary program where they can do an MRI and see if there are other ways to limit the seizures.  Again, my problem with that, is what if it is a brain tumor?  Even if we go through radiation and chemo, what's his quality of life going to be, and how long will that give him?  Isn't it selfish to put him through all those trips (when he is terrified of car rides), 80-100 miles away, and spend thousands of dollars that I just don't have to just get a few more months?  How do I know when it's time to say goodbye?  My hope is that he snaps out of this and we can manage his seizures, but honestly I am very weary of everything and just don't know what to do.  It's awful but sometimes I think it would be easier of him and me if we did say goodbye.  

Anyway, Ill keep you guys updated.  Thanks for listening.

So sorry to hear this Jay!

I'd also at least want some sort of proof that it is a tumor, before I would want to make such a decision ;) wan't easy when my boy Wollie got diagnosed with cancer and the vet said they couldn't operate and he is suffering...you never want them to suffer! Only you will know when the time is right to let him go...

Praying that its something you can manage and he gets better!

That's the thing I am afraid of.  If I made a decision, not knowing for sure if it's a tumor, I am always going to think that he could have snapped out of it.  If I get the MRI, spend $1,000 or more, and it's a tumor then at least I will know.  Financially I don't think I can manage that.  Not to mention my quality of life isn't that great either.  I can't really do much and make plans, and I am distracted at work checking up on him on the camera all the time. I have a trip planned in April that at this point I am thinking of cancelling because I don't want to put a friend that is dog sitting through a cluster of seizures. 

It's not an easy decision.  I know when Eisa was in her last few months, we hoped so hard that her issue was not cancer, but perhaps an infection.  The vet suggested we go the the University of Wisconsin Veterinary Clinic, but the wait to get in was seven to ten weeks at the time.  As luck had it, Eisa would not have made the appointment.  An MRI at the UofW is around $1500, they also do an exam, which is around $250, so the first day, it's almost $1800 and you may or may not find out what's going on, and the poor dog is still not any better.  So we had our vet take needle biopsies, which were $125 for the lot of five, and he was able to diagnose spindle cell cancer from the results.

If Yukon is restless, wandering, panting, and whining, it's obvious he's not enjoying life.  I hear you on the not knowing part though.  It is so damn hard to know what to do, and you hope beyond hope, that a miracle cure will come over the dog, or that during the night, the crossing of the bridge takes place without issue.  Because making that decision is one that every dog lover wants to avoid.

I guess what I'm trying to say Jay, is we are here for you and for Yukon.  While we can't make the decisions needed for Yukon's well being, we can certainly support you in the decisions you need to make, and be a sounding board of sorts.  

Thanks all, I guess I will have to take it day by day.  The nearby university got back to me, and they don't have the clinical trial that we would need available, which would have been awesome since they pay for almost everything.  I had my vet contact them for a referral and see what they have to say, it can't hurt to get more information.  In the mean time, I am hoping Yukon shows improvement.  Today when I was home for a bit, he seemed to be a little better, still restless but not whining, and he was playing with his brothers.

It is not easy when your baby has a serious life limiting illness, in our case a heart condition, all you can do is love them and make their lives as comfortable and happy as possible. There is always hope and that will keep you going. Trust me when the time comes to say good bye you will know because he will tell you, hopefully it is a long time before you get to that day x We are here to listen and support xxxx