Yukon

Jay

A little update on Yukon.  He hasn't had anymore seizures since last Wednesday.  His behavior seems to be getting back to normal.  Typically, when he would have seizures he would go back to normal within an hour or so.  I have heard some dogs being abnormal for days after, but I never experienced that.  Thursday and Friday he was constantly restless, would get me up multiple times a night and be whining for no reason.  At some point Saturday he got on my bed and peed everywhere on it, so bad that I had to replace the mattress (granted, my mattress is 20 years old, so probably due for a new one anyway), but this is not his typical behavior.  He would also bump into things, like doors, chairs, like he is partially blind or something. The disorientation always happens post-seizure, but only for an hour or so. 

Sunday and this morning though it seems he is back to normal.  He is not whining, or being restless.  He hasn't seemed disoriented or aggressive. 

Although I am glad he is snapping out of it, it certainly does not bring me any relief.  I still feel that it is probably a brain tumor, since the 12 pills he takes per day doesn't seem to help, and the seizures are growing in severity.  I had hope that it was the food, because he went from December 24th - February 15th with none, which is the longest streak he has had in almost 2 years.  

For now, I am waiting to hear back from the vet.  We are seeking a referral to Purdue University's College of Veterinary Medicine, which has an excellent neurology center.  In fact, it is the closest place I can take him for an MRI, and its 80 miles away.  They have programs where they cover brain surgery up to a certain amount or clinical trials there, so I am going to discuss the options with them, but I need a referral first.  I don't have the funds to pay for a MRI myself, as I think they are about 1,500 or more, but at least to get some advice.  

What I don't want to do is extend his life if it's not going to be good quality.    I am so angry at his breeder.  Not only are his front limbs deformed, but he has this issues as well.  She breeds an obscene amount of huskies, her page always has 5-8 litters available at a time, and I think they have over 50 dogs on their property.  Of course, I did not know this before getting him.  I should have done my research, and I wish there was something I could do to stop her from breeding dogs that have no business having puppies.  I reached out to her shortly after Yukon started having seizures, and all she said is there was nothing hereditary with either of Yukon's parents.

Anyway, I will keep you guys informed on what's going on.  Thanks for listening

Jay, we are still in your corner.  That so called "breeder" most likely did not have any hereditary data, and probably lied anyway.  Don't know how far you are from Madison, Wisconsin, but you might check the University of Wisconsin Veterinary College to see if they may have any programs that Yukon would fit into, as a backup.