Inground Fence

camsue

Got a question my wife and I just installed an underground fence system for our husky she just turned 7 months she now has almost 800 feet of space to roam we are beginning training tomorrow just looking for advice for training. It is the first time we have had an in ground fence and just want the training to go as smooth as possible just looking forward to have almost a half acre to roam and exercise and of course chase the birds squirrels rabbits and now butterflies lol thank you in advance for any help

No problem. I would probably be careful with those types of fences because some huskies will be able to run out of the area thinking that the reward of running is greater than the pain of the shock. I don't have any advice as I don't have any real experience with these. Good luck tho and we look forward to pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of taking the wrath of some, we have a DogWatch system. However, it is inside the perimeter of a traditional 5' cedar fence. That system we have uses a 1.3 volt battery, sounds a single audible alert at 4', a rapid audible alert at 3', with a short burst shock at 1'. Experience tells me a buried fence alone is not enough to confine a Siberian Husky. It is enough to slow them down enough to prevent a jump over, and enough of a deterrent to prevent a dig under. Like Jay stated, a Husky will soon disregard a shock when in pursuit of prey. Getting them to return is a problem.

We have had high winds for two days. Today one of the gates was blown open, unknown to me. Zoya was outside the fence, having gone through the open gate. Luckily, she was in the area between where the line exits the back yard and runs up to the control unit in the garage., so she was still inside the perimeter of the buried line. I was able to easily coax her back. Our neighbors have an Invisible Fence, and it works for their Setter.

To train, we set out white utility flags 10' apart and 3' inside the buried line. We then walked our Husky on a lead. When the single audible alert would sound, we said the word HOT, with no exclamation. When the rapid audible alert sounded, we said the word HOT! With an exclamation. If they got to the 1' distance, we repeated the word HOT! With an exclamation while pulling back on the lead.

We did this go around twice a day for about three days. In all honesty, ours learned the limits on the first day. In the almost seven years we have had the system, each dog has received no more than two hits, and that included the training sessions.

After about two weeks, remove every other flag. After two more weeks, again remove every other flag. And two weeks later, pull them all.

Just be aware, that if your Husky's prey drive kicks in, a buried fence alone probably will have little effect in keeping the dog in your yard.

My thoughts with these kind of things is that once the dog is outside the boundary, the shocking may scare it into just running even more and it may not realize at first thought that running back into your yard is how you get it to stop. But I've never personally used one :)

We have 2m high fencing around our dog area, so the only way out for the dogs is to dig under it. I just make sure they are never left unsupervised and if they start to dig near the fence we shout NO! works with some but not all.

Also, we have had other members with this type of fence.

Unbeknownst to them, They had a power outage and the fence wasn't on when they let the dog out.

As a secondary deterrent it is a great idea, but as a primary means of stopping the dog from getting out not ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

ty all for the replies but we have decided to go with the tradition 7 foot fence we recently have had a pack of male coyotes near our property and we just don't want our pup to be at risk with not being able to run if needed we contacted the game commission and they said there was nothing we could do so our best option is to install the fence then our pup has nothing to worry about getting into to hurt her ty again for the responses