Favorite food brands?

jonmichael

Hi . . . I've poked around on some of the recent threads. It seems a lot of you like Taste of the Wild. I was just looking at it today in the store and it does look great. But I was overwhelmed by the choices. I'm in the states, and some of the popular ones here are EVO, TOTW, California Natural, Science Diet, Royal Canin. My vet tech, who has a husky, swears by Royal Canin, and that's the puppy food I am starting with, but it's too soon for me to tell how well it's working.

I'm wondering if people have favorites that are brands that huskies seem to like in particular.

Also, chicken vs. lamb vs. fish?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry i wont be of much help when it comes to kibble or wet food, as i dont feed it.

however if your wondering what food sibes usually thrive on, and really enjoy i'd recommend looking into raw feeding if you havent already.

lots on here raw feed with great results, so if you want to know more just say and im sure you'll get a wealth of information handed to you lol

I have always used Advanced kibble for my two... it is one of the premium dog foods here in Australia along with Royal Canin, Eukanuba (spelling?), Pro Plan. I have tried Royal Canin previously as Sasha went off her food for a while when we got Bailey as Royal Canin profess to be the most pallatable dog food on the market.

Sasha loved it...however her poos were so soft. Eventually we went back to Advanced.

Every dog is a bit different. Some will do well on one food, while others will not. If yours is still a puppy, I would stay with a kibble to ensure your pup gets the proper nutrition for growth. We've been feeding Zoya TOTW since she was six months old. She's eighteen months old now and has done exceptionally well on it. I would avoid any food with corn or wheat, basically because corn and wheat are cheap fillers. Corn simply goes right through and wheat can be a source of allergies. That's why I like TOTW. It's grain-free and gets a six-star rating on http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com. (Science Diet on the other hand, is normally chock full of corn and/or wheat, so I've never been a big fan of their products.) That being said, your dog may not like TOTW, or there may be another food that your dog does better on.

I am not pro raw feeding. I know others are, and that's fine. But for a puppy, it's so important that they receive the right mix of nutrients. Not that raw feeding would not provide those, but trying to figure out what contains what in raw and making sure the right mix is provided is too iffy for me.

Regarding chicken, lamb, or fish. All are fine, as long as they are near the top of the ingredients list. And of course, chicken is better than chicken meal, lamb is better than lamb meal, etc. All fish used in dog foods in the US is chemically treated, and some have issues with that. For that reason, I don't feed Zoya much of the Pacific Stream formula of TOTW. We stick with the Wetlands and the High Prairie forumulas. Look for a food that gets protien from three sources, with those sources as close to the top of the ingredient list as possible.

TOTW is made by Diamond Pet Foods. Diamond makes many of the foods under other company labels, as they are not only a primary, but also a contract manufacturer.

Great responses all . . . please keep them coming.

Yes, the raw food -- I don't think I'm ready for that, but definitely something to think about for the future. Right now, my pup is only three months old, so I want to try and stick with a kibble for the reasons Mass states.

It is interesting about Science Diet -- corn is the first ingredient, the big no, no . . . and yet, all the vets over here rave about it, how "advanced" it is, and so on. Anyone you talk to thinks Science Diet is top of the line. But with the corn business, it doesn't seem to match up. I asked one of the vets about this and she said that SD actually uses corn in a different way than as a filler, something to do with the way it's processed (as nutrient, rather than filler), but I don't quite understand. Royal Canin is a bit better on the ingredients list -- chicken meal is the first ingredient listed, and corn gluten meal doesn't appear until fourth. The fifth ingredient is chicken.

I really like the idea of no-grain foods, and am going to investigate that more.

Please do keep the replies coming. I love the knowledge of this group!

It is interesting about Science Diet -- corn is the first ingredient, the big no, no . . . and yet, all the vets over here rave about it, how "advanced" it is, and so on. Anyone you talk to thinks Science Diet is top of the line. But with the corn business, it doesn't seem to match up. I asked one of the vets about this and she said that SD actually uses corn in a different way than as a filler, something to do with the way it's processed (as nutrient, rather than filler), but I don't quite understand.

Vets receive a commision on the sale of SD. Bottom line is, corn is corn. It's all proecessed by the same basic methods. Corn simply is not a good ingredient to have in dog food, but many companies use it, because it's plentiful and it's cheap.

I LOVE Wellness Large Breed Puppy food!! biggrin.gif His gas is way better on this food than any others we tried. We tried TOTW, Blue buffalo, and Iams and none had results like this.

Wellness is a very good brand of dog food. We tried that with Zoya, but she would not eat it. That's when we then switched to Nutro Ultra Pupply Food. She did well on that, but at about six months, she started to develop dry flaky skin. She's not had gas on any of her foods, her poops though don't smell all that good, so I try not to get too close.

I feel like I am pimping Diamond foods today or something, but I have been really pleased with the Diamond Naturals and it is grain free. My husky does not tolerate grain well it gives her bad gas and terrible poo! They have a lamb and rice for large breed puppies, the first ingredient is lamb and it is grain free, no soy corn or wheat. Their website is really good too, it tells you what is in each kind of food, what the nutritional value is, and when they say "lamb meal" what their standards for that are. I have had really good luck with it, I wish that I would have found it sooner! I have really learned to look and see what the 1st three ingredients are and also to research what those actual ingredients consist of, each company has different standards. The gal at the pet store told me that Diamond makes Taste of the Wild, it is also a really good food, just a little higher in price.

Great responses all . . . please keep them coming.

Yes, the raw food -- I don't think I'm ready for that, but definitely something to think about for the future. Right now, my pup is only three months old, so I want to try and stick with a kibble for the reasons Mass states.

It is interesting about Science Diet -- corn is the first ingredient, the big no, no . . . and yet, all the vets over here rave about it, how "advanced" it is, and so on. Anyone you talk to thinks Science Diet is top of the line. But with the corn business, it doesn't seem to match up. I asked one of the vets about this and she said that SD actually uses corn in a different way than as a filler, something to do with the way it's processed (as nutrient, rather than filler), but I don't quite understand. Royal Canin is a bit better on the ingredients list -- chicken meal is the first ingredient listed, and corn gluten meal doesn't appear until fourth. The fifth ingredient is chicken.

I really like the idea of no-grain foods, and am going to investigate that more.

Please do keep the replies coming. I love the knowledge of this group!

let me guess... do your vets sell science diet? if so they're gettin comission for it lol

vets have very little understanding of dog nutrition, they do about a days worth of teaching on the subject, and it's often led by a food company, any unbiased info they want to know has to be done in their spare time.

We have recently changed Greys food to natures diet, he really enjoys it so im glad i have changed! aswell as getting his Raw Mince and chicken wings and a few bones (not all at the same time) i feel more happy as i can now see he is eating and enjoying his food instead of feeling guilty that he has not eaten cause he is a fussy git......

We feed all ours on Best Choice - a food imported from Germany. Since we started using it two years ago, our dogs look great, work hard and never get the squits. We also have less waste products (quite important when you have 15+ dogs) and need to feed smaller quantities than other foods. It was developed on working huskies in Europe and we have been very impressed. The majority of SHWA(UK) dogs are fed on Best Choice too.

Anita and Nigel of Lionslord Pet Nutrition, who import the food into the UK, are experts in canine nutrition and can advise you on exactly which grade of food to buy for your sibe(s) - depending upon age, activity level and health.

You can contact them by e-mailing anita@lionslordpetnutrition.com

Mick

Sad but true S&K, only vets who choose to educate themselves really know anything more than the basics of canine nutrition.

Some vets are excellent, my vet advocates feeding a raw diet and it's great to have a vet who 'gets' it.

we done nutrition at collage but barely touched on anything, tho we did have a substitute tutor come in for one session who breeds and shows SBTs, and she told us a bit about BARF, which after reading on here about it aswell led me to do my own research.

i havent spoken to my vet since kira's 1st shots (just went to the counter for worming tabs) but im going to talk to them when we go for her next shots. I hope they support raw feeding but unless they start going on about how i should feed kibble im not too bothered. If they start kibble preaching to me i'll look around a few more in my area. Cant be dealin with that lol

I LOVE Wellness Large Breed Puppy food!! biggrin.gif His gas is way better on this food than any others we tried. We tried TOTW, Blue buffalo, and Iams and none had results like this.

seconds on wellness. my puppies love it. one of them is very picky and has no problem eating wellness. also look for solid gold.

I just looked at that site for the first time and I can't believe science diet is only 1 star! absolutely crazy! Everyone always thinks it's the best food ever and it's totally not the case. Even nutro max and natural choice is only 2 stars. Wellness is 4 stars for the super5mix and 5 for corebiggrin.gif even Eagle pack isn't high on the list. The funny thing is that Eukanuba and Iams are both 2 stars and if you look at the ingredients they are the same exact dog food, just Eukanuba puts about 4 more chemicals in it and sells it for $20 more than Iams lol. What a big farce this dog food thing is if you think about it. They're all such liars most of them!laugh.gif

I just looked at that site for the first time and I can't believe science diet is only 1 star! absolutely crazy! Everyone always thinks it's the best food ever and it's totally not the case. Even nutro max and natural choice is only 2 stars. Wellness is 4 stars for the super5mix and 5 for corebiggrin.gif even Eagle pack isn't high on the list. The funny thing is that Eukanuba and Iams are both 2 stars and if you look at the ingredients they are the same exact dog food, just Eukanuba puts about 4 more chemicals in it and sells it for $20 more than Iams lol. What a big farce this dog food thing is if you think about it. They're all such liars most of them!laugh.gif

Now you are catching on. Science Diet and many other national brands are chock full of corn. Even the companies with 6-star ratings have issues. I think this may be why so many have gone to BARF or feeding raw. You really have to keep up on this stuff. Some companies have been known to switch formulas, and not even mention it. All of a sudden your dog has the squirts, or wont' eat. Why? Same food I bought last time. But is it?

Tango is allergic to corn, so most of the commercial brands don't work for him. We later learnt that grains in general is not necessary in dog's diet, and some of the common ones, corn, soy, wheat, are even known to cause dog dietary allergy. So after trying at least 6 puppy food, we found Blue Buffalo and stayed with it till now, no problems so far. Tango is very picky about food, but he loves Blue's Wilderness line. We are thinking about switching to a grain-free food (Blue is high protein, but still has a small portion of grains like barley) when Tango's 1 year old.

• 1 year later...