What Should I Be Asking For At The Butchers?

Jennifer&Luna

Hi all. Luna is now fully onto a raw diet she is eating 500g of nutriment per day an enhanced raw food which is bought frozen and thawed at home. I would like to supplement this with various other meats and bones ect.. While she is still quite thin. I have access to several butcher shops basically I'm wondering what on earth do I ask for.... Offcuts, meaty bones is there anything particular. From what I understand chicken wings seem to be a good start and I should stay away from large weight bearing bones as these pose a risk of dental problems. I do apologise if I have this all wrong I'm still trying to get my head around the basics of raw feeding which is why I have gone down the route of buying it pre packaged for now. I can't help but feel the Internet is a minefield full of conflicting information on the subject. I'm hoping the good people of the husky owners forum will steer me in the right direction :)

Thanks in advance for any replies xx

Hi there. I'm not a raw feeder so can't tell you too much. But yes chicken wings and chicken mince are a good introduction. I've heard that pork bones should be avoided due to certain strains of bacteria and weight bearing bones can damage teeth. The bones need to be frozen for two weeks before giving them to your dog as this process kills off certain bacteria etc.... Offal is a necessary part of the raw diet and could probably be sourced from a butchers.

And that's about all I know. Hopefully some others will be along shortly who know more than I do.

2 weeks freezing is recommended with all raw meats, but it really is dependent on how good your meat sources are. If unsure freeze. I sometimes do and sometimes I don't but we have very strict health guidelines with our meat industry. 

With a puppy I would always freeze for 2 weeks, pork 3 to 4 (but I don't use pork in my rotation) Fish 3 weeks - depending on the source.

Oh I feel awful now I gave Luna some chicken wings direct from the butcher yesterday no freezing involved :(

Don't feel bad , she'll probably be fine , I don't freeze the raw meat skyla has unless it's already frozen , see how luna goes , if she doesn't get the runs I wouldn't worry , if she does then freeze it first