Hi From Someone Who's Completely New To This And Has No Idea What They're Doing!

kenzeebo

Hello! My name is Josephine and I have a 3 month old Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute mix female puppy named Mackenzie. I live in Citrus Heights, California and I've had Kenzie since she was about 6 weeks old. I was advised to join this forum to get answers to my many questions. She is quickly growing to be the beautiful smart girl that she is, but sometimes she does make me question her intelligence... Lol I'm just kidding, although at times she does act a little weird. So I guess I'm here to see if I'm not the only one with a Husky pup that has weird behaviors/tendencies.

Before Kenzie, I had a Pomeranian/Chihuahua named Bowzer. Although growing up, we had many family dogs ranging in all types of breeds, Bowzer was my first actual dog. Around the beginning of this year, he passed over the rainbow bridge. And because I missed him so much and the companion that only a dog can give you, I decided to get another. Before Bowzer, I completely loved big dogs. Small dogs were cute, but not my thing. But some events happened which then resulted in me having to rescue Bowzer. Blah blah blah, long story short, I then had to become all about that small dog life because of him. But now that I have Kenzie, it's a whole world of differences! Lol, which I did brace myself for, and educated myself on prior to getting her. But I joined this forum to get guidance from people with experience and to make sure I'm doing right by Kenzie, and not doing unto her what is supposed to be unto a small dog.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about an introduction but that's pretty much my dog life in a couple of paragraphs. Now, I don't really know how to end this so I guess I'll just go with a, thanks?... Sincerely?... Goodbye?...

PS. The picture of Kenzie was when she was about 2 months.

post-13082-0-84979000-1432063444_thumb.j

post-13082-0-13464500-1432064010_thumb.j

You are in for quite a treat. I have a husky malamute mix named chewy. As folks on the forum will tell you, he is a quite a character. He is also the most awesome furbaby ever! Please post your questions so that people on the forum can help you.

I highly recommend NILIF "nothing in life is free" training and a lot of positive reinforcement.

Try to Get this book or the DVD's: ("the puppy whisperer" by Paul Owens) and invest in the easy walk harness.

Kenzie is going to be a beauty...what a gorgeous little red pup you have.

You have obviously done research since you are posting here so it is clear you have what it takes to do this.  It won't be without challenges and there will be moments of pure insanity that make you want to tear your hair out.  Case in point...last week, my two nine month old pups, who have passed two levels of training certification, got bored one night, managed to grab my ill-placed wallet of a shelf and proceeded to eat it (literally...they ate the wallet), along with $30 in cash in it and destroying every single one of my credit cards, insurance cards and driver's license. 

So.  What you will learn is that no matter how smart and well-trained...your Kenzie is still a husky (or husky/malamute!) and she will sometimes just do stuff simply to drive you insane.  And although you may be mad for approximately 30 seconds...after that you will simply laugh, pick up the pieces of whatever was destroyed or ruined and have a good story to tell about the time your best friend did "x"!

Welcome to the club :up:

Welcome to both of you. If you run into any issues or challenges, we are here to help.

welcome to the pack ,  No question is ever too silly or stupid to ask, we have all been newbies with this breed at some point or other ,,, as you gather they are like no other breed .. loving whilst stubborn at the same time ... have fun ... Mackenzie is cute too ..

No question too large, small or seemingly stupid.
They are a breed unlike most other dogs.
Less of a pet more like a wilful child and stubborn family member with a wicked streak of fun
post-1354-0-32160300-1405679619_thumb.jp