Part Malamute?

Dan

This cutie was posted up on a local husky page for adoption, looking a bit closer I have a feeling he may be part malamute? The lady fostering him says he's 6 years old, however thinks he's been malnourished and is very underweight.

What do you think?

11138159_849111615166595_714717191134862

11219329_846376825440074_333064559134918

What tipped me off his his ears seem fairly wide set, and she said he's a fairly big dog. However he does have 1 blue eye, which I didn't think malamutes could have. She also said his tail is very plume-y and sits right over his back. 

Edited by Dan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a few hiccups in the process of getting a houseshare down South, so for the time being I'm looking at moving into my own place over the next couple of weeks. Apparently people are a bit turned off by the fact he's 6 years old, and she said he's also not great with cats, but perfect with other dogs. I'm seriously considering adopting him as a friend for Loki if the application goes through on where I'm wanting to move :)

I'm really not sure tbh. He doesn't look particularly Mal but that doesn't really mean much. Either way I would suspect it would come down to how well they get along with introductions. Mals can be prone to some same sex dog aggression but I wouldn't think that this is the case for all of them. he's very cute, I can see why you're tempted! :)

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it seems like he's probably just husky - maybe mal down the lines in the parents somewhere, perhaps.

Lovely lady fosters them until they can find good homes, doesn't charge anything for them either. Apparently he went to a trial home a little while back but they had issues with him escaping, but she said they'd never owned a husky before and didn't have another dog either, and honestly I think almost any husky would try escape if they're left home alone. Definitely do better with company I think, unless you're home majority of the time :) She also mentioned that he's not good with cats, but is apparently perfect with other dogs of all sizes, and is great in the car too. I think he'd fit in well with Loki and I, and I'd love to give him a home :D

11053168_849111631833260_755395814342307

Edited by Dan

Good looking Dawg.

Could be part Mal.

Has the broad forehead and the wide set ears.

I would say a quarter Mal three quarters Husky.

Thanks Kati, Howler grew up so fast :D

Andy, kind of thinking the same thing. Maybe no immediate malamute but perhaps one of his grandparents was somewhere down the line.

Gah, the one time I hate the weekend, when I'm trying to get things done! Want my rental application approved so I can adopt him :)

If he is malamute x somewhere, I think this pic definitely brings it out:

11010608_849112101833213_655776665608123

Edited by Dan

Not yet, he's a bit of a drive away. I know they might have a few disputes at first as usual though, but as we learnt with buddy here, give it a few days and they're fine :D

His name is whiskey. Not sure why but feel it kinda suits him :)

Went for a visit today. They both seemed very excited and 0 aggression at all. Now just need to get my application through for the house and he can come to his new home :D

He's not actually as big as I was expecting, though definitely feel he has some malamute in him, just from his looks. About the same height as Loki :D

post-12603-0-58146100-1432437215_thumb.j

Edited by Dan

Yeah, just unfortunate he's not good with animals other than dogs. Not really a problem for me, but will have to be a bit cautious where I take him.

Everything going to plan I should be able to pick him up end of the week, so excited :D Feels great knowing he gets a second take on life with Loki and I :)

Good on yer Dan

There will probably be a few scuffles as he settles in that's to be expected.

He'll be getting the best furever home. :)

Was honestly expecting a few scuffles today, but all was good. I mean, being a male, Whiskey had to give Loki the usual "hump test" a few times, but nothing aggressive even with Loki throwing him off every time. His first encounters with Buddy were a lot more intense, so I don't see it being a problem at all :)

Basically just waiting on a yes or no on my rental application before I can go pick him up. Even if I don't get this place, there's a few more around that seem to have had quite little interest. Basically just a matter of time, but crossing my fingers it'll be this week :)

A walking belt may be a way to go, though I thought maybe I could purchase another chain lead like Loki's and just attach the 2nd chain to the same handle. Loki isn't too bad with his pulling anymore so might be OK :D