Part Malamute?

Dan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here we go .. :D

Overall he seems to be quite well tempered apart from the usual food aggression (which is kind of understandable if his previous owners fed him so irregularly) and a few bad habits.

We've had a couple squabbles over food, but I'm in a new place, new dogs, basically new everything so I'm understanding they're both probably a bit on the edge, it's pretty stressful for me too :D

He seemed pretty good in the car and just sat upright most of the 1 1/2 hour drive home, sticking his head through between the seats a few times to check if we were there. 

Loki seemed pretty shocked when he saw me walk in with Whiskey, don't think he knew what to think :D

That said, when I first introduced Loki to Buddy things were a lot more on edge, so I don't think they're doing too badly.

Stressing myself out a bit going through the usual "what if" scenarios again regarding them fighting and escaping at this new place, but I'm good at worrying myself. Give it a few days and see how it goes. Although I'd love it to work out, the lady did say I could bring him back if I really couldn't make it work, but I'm gonna try :)

Got dark quickly today so a fairly limited selection of pics for now. He got a wash as soon as we got home as he'd clearly been playing in the dirt :D

post-12603-0-98268100-1432888772_thumb.j

post-12603-0-64933700-1432888792_thumb.j

post-12603-0-22368100-1432888801_thumb.j

They slept well overnight, though I think Whiskey might be a bit jealous of me as he was sleeping closer to the bed, and decided to attack Loki as he approached first thing this morning. Not got a nice blood soaked tissue wrapped around my finger. Oh dogs ..  :mellow:  Hoping it's something that'll settle over time. Still not even 24h. I'm a bit sympathetic for Whiskey because it's clear he's not had much (good) attention in his life, so he's really trying to get as much as he can, but at the same time Loki's probably wondering if he's been "replaced" as first dog now.

Edited by Dan

Going much better this morning so far. Both of them are currently on the mattress and not showing any aggression, just keeping their distance a bit. Loki has naturally become a bit cautious of Whiskey, so I was giving Whiskey a scratch under the chin while reassuring Loki he wouldn't get attacked climbing onto the mattress. Kept talking to them gently through the process and a quick verbal correction any time Whiskey snarled at him.

Gonna take a while longer yet before I can really trust them, but gonna see if I can go the whole day today without a fight. My hand is still sore from a bite breaking up yesterdays fight :(

Damn, spoke too soon, they had another scuffle while I was in the shower. But they stopped pretty quickly when I yelled at them. But that will be the only one for today, OK dogs? :)

Oh, and apparently Whiskey knows how to snatch food off kitchen counters, so looks like I've got a bit of training ahead of me. It will be worth it though as he has such a loving personality. I think he's worried I'm gonna disappear on him as he woke up and checked I was still there a few times last night :D

Edited by Dan

Well some bad news unfortunately :(

Yesterday I think there were even more fights than the first 2 days combined. I was really stressed out in the afternoon about it and decided to give it a bit longer, but that night they had probably the worst fight out of all of them. Loki ended up with 3 decent gashes on his leg and was yelping badly, and whiskey got bitten on the muzzle.

As much as whiskey was a very affectionate dog, I really felt I was doing wrong by Loki letting him get into fights as Loki became very weary of whiskey.

I talked to the lady I got him off and we were both really disappointed, but she agreed she'd take him back, and she figured out a way that she could probably keep him.

Loki stayed at mums overnight to recover and whiskey stayed with me, and I took him back this morning :(

Still really upset about the whole thing but I gave it a go, not much else I could do. But it makes me feel better knowing she's going to try keep him and she has a nice big property for him to run on with her other dogs.

I think if I'm going to get Loki a friend, I might be better off starting from a puppy again, as it's a bit hard on Loki bringing an older, more dominant dog into his life. He's OK today but still limping badly, so I've given him a painkiller I got when he injured himself at the creek last time.

I think it was for the best as Whiskey was essentially guarding me from Loki, and I could tell Loki was really wanting my attention.

Oh well, an experience. I'll just call it a sleepover :)

Edited by Dan

Yeah was thinking that .. though I have had myself set on a GSD for a while. But rarely ever see any puppies for sale, or even really any up for adoption either. Guess that might be a good thing, give me some time to settle in before making more decisions :)

Loki's leg:

IMG_0208.jpg

He's still treading lightly and limping a bit, but much better than earlier this morning. Luckily I was there to break up the fight before it got even worse, but you can see why I was extremely hesitant about just leaving them sort it out, and even worse, not being there to stop a fight :(

Edited by Dan

Yeah, still really upset over it, as I know how much Whiskey really enjoyed my company. The lady said he was whining for hours after I left. If only there was a way to explain to him he could have stayed if he didn't fight Loki :( :( Still makes me tear up even though I know Loki is much more relaxed and probably happy he's number 1 again, but just really upsetting how attached he was to me and when I had to take him back :(

And she literally just messaged me after posting this saying he was still going .. man this sucks so much :(

Edited by Dan

I know how dissapointed you are feeling, as I had the same last year trying to adopt Izzy a GSD female.  Bella absolutley hated her and I got bit intervening.  Still feel like I let Izzy down but my family would of dis owned had I carried on.  Hence two Puppies Howler and Lucky. 

I will adopt again but not for a long long time I hope as it would mean my Bella not being here. 

The main thing is you tried and the worst that happened is it did not work out.  I hope Whiskey finds his forever home.

:huskyhugs:   For both of you and a big Kiss for Loki and his paawly leg.