Recommend A Harness For My Husky

FlaHusky

I recently moved to my new apartment and I'm taking my little girl from my dads house... Shes never really been on the leash much because she has always ran free out in the back yard. With the apartment allowing dogs, there is no fenced in yards so I need to take her out on the leash to potty and for occasional jogs.

What harness do you recommend me getting for her? Is there anything affordable at pets smart or pet co?

I know collars are bad... so what do you recommend that is the SAFEST for her?

What do you plan on using the harness for?  Indi-dog has some good ones, also check out Alpine Outfitters. They take awhile to make, but they are very good.  I have x-back harnesses for them to pull on the bike or sled, but for every day walks I just use their collars. 

Not Trained on leash, em, how old is she. ? If you like to run then this is  good she just will need a little training to follow you.  Lots of high value treats to start so she gets used to being near you and not just where she wants. Lots of training guides on here.  Also look for running clubs with dogs near you.

So many different products on the market and so many different solutions, I would research and by trial and error you will find a solution. with 4 woofs I have lots of trials and a few solutions but one that works for each. Best solution is your self and your bond and command.  Few words, few actions. My sole words of command are: Wait, Stay, OIH Pronounced Owwha) This is for unacceptable behaviour.  Leave it, walk on after sit and my fav WASSSS ISSS (recall LOL Training) . To be honest you could say anything for any command as long as you are consistent that's all that matters.

Good Luck and you are most the way there cause you asked the best question, what's safest for her.  honestly you are.

She really likes to try and run away when I take her out. So I'm sure she gets choked a little when she tries getting ahead of her self.

What about a leash? Are those retractable ones from Walmart any good for walking

She really likes to try and run away when I take her out. So I'm sure she gets choked a little when she tries getting ahead of her self.

What about a leash? Are those retractable ones from Walmart any good for walking

If you train your dog to walk nicely on it then they can be great , I can't walk blaze on one as he's too headstrong and independent but skyla is a lot more obedient so she can walk on one lovely , she'll walk ahead but come back when I call her , if she runs on it she'll slow down when I tell her too and she knows not to go near roads on it too

I would never get a retractable leash, they can injure you and they aren't as strong. I recommend an 8 foot nylon leash with a traffic handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the indi-dog stuff looks great and as a bonus they have a great presence on this site and the customer service looks top of the line. 

I myself opted for the Julius-K9 IDC Powerharness for my two pups and I absolutely love this harness for daily use.  I used to use both gentle leader and the top of the line Kong harnesses that you can get at Petsmart.  The Kong harness was nice and seemed durable but Sushi chewed the vertical chests trap off of it in about a week.  In addition, my biggest complaint with typical harnesses is how hard they are to get on and off and/or the straps getting tangled.  When I get home after work and the kids are in the crate and need to go out to do their business, I want something quick and easy to get on them.  So I used to use standard collars for daily use and a standard harness for longer walks.

The IDC Powerharness is more of a shell with a single giant buckle...it keeps its shape so there is never any messing about when it comes time to put it in...just slip the harness over the head and click the buckle around their body.  It's easier than a collar to get on and off, let alone a typical harness.  The chest strap is horizontal and applies zero pressure to the dog's body unless he is pulling...in which case it distributes pressure evenly across the broadest part of the chest.  It's got a very sturdy handle on top (a lot of good harnesses will have a handle...very handy) and the construction quality is superb.  Plus you can add accessories like side bags and a light for night walks.  Had mine for a few months now...through all kinds of weather, all kinds of rough play and still holding up awesome.

Not to mention they are great looking harnesses...available in a variety of bright, vivid colors and with a myriad of custom velcro side tags that you can take on and off.  I've had more than one person stop and ask if my huskies were service dogs, they look very professional and probably better trained than they are with the IDC on them!

I have this same issue, I use a collar, people have told me to get a body harness instead of the collar. But he pulls like crazy. Even with the treats, he will heal and sit when i show him the treats and follow along for a short period something else will grab his attention and will run off. We are trying to break this habit but its so hard. He loves to pull and only stops when he tires himself. Not sure what to do.

I have this same issue, I use a collar, people have told me to get a body harness instead of the collar. But he pulls like crazy. Even with the treats, he will heal and sit when i show him the treats and follow along for a short period something else will grab his attention and will run off. We are trying to break this habit but its so hard. He loves to pull and only stops when he tires himself. Not sure what to do.

If he pulls in a collar he could damage Himself , I've used a non pull harness on my two n with training it's worked wonders , it's the www.walkyourdogwithlove.com harness , I noticed a difference in my boy n it made it much easier to walk him and he responded well to training with it on