Crate Training...

nalwade

Does anyone have experience with this? We are trying to crate train him so he knows not to pee in the house and so he can have his own little "den" and feel safe. When he first gets in he cries like he's being murdered and I feel AWFUL. I know he doesn't have to pee because sometimes he will go in after he has gone to the bathroom. Do I just sit by his kennel and calm him down to help make him more comfortable? I know definitely not to let him out because he cries because then he learns that's how he can get out. Right?

crate training is best done in the day time when you are there, try 5 mins at a time at regular intervals it usely takes about a week sometimes a bit longer.

​Get used to the crying there is not a lot can be done about it just be patient and good luck :) 

Also you can try feeding him in his crate or giving him treats for going in. We did that for Ice and now he goes in happily and waits for his treat. Before we had to practically pick him up and put him in there. Something with your scent on it may help, covering the crate to create a den like atmosphere can help too. If the crate is too big sometimes you will find that thry'll use on end to go toilet in, I've heard of people using dividers to section the crate. There should be enough room for them to stand up, turn around and lay back down comfortably.