Recommendations For Breeder For New Puppy

syne7

Good morning,

I am looking for recommendations for breeders for our next puppy, which looking to bring into our home in about 2 years (I like to think ahead).

Here is what we are looking for in a female puppy (slight preference for grey color):

1. A sound healthy puppy with good prospects to be a well socialized family member and "working dog".
2. AKC Full Registration (no co-ownership)
3. A show prospect puppy (I would the possibility to explore showing, but am certainly offering lifetime commitment to the pup)
4. Pups bred for working drive (to be used for obedience, agility, nose work or whatever the dog takes to).

Location/distance is not an issue. I will be happy to fly out to the pup and drive back or fly it home in arms create good initial experience for the pup and will take to the first two weeks off to bond with the pup and socialize.

I am very active with my dogs as you can see from the Facebook page for my current pup www.facebook.com/lokisibe

Thank in advance for any advice and recommendations

Jason

There are a couple of members that can give you some general advice and I will try to tag one of them.  Per our forum rules we cannot name or provide links to breeder sites but we are more than happy to give you any advice that we can!

I am happy to receive the information in a private message.  My apologies I do not mean to violate the rules of the discussion board.  Just looking to take advantage of experience of the members.

No problem, you did not violate any rules, I just wanted to let you know that when others reply they won't be posting links or naming specific breeders in case you were wondering.  We are all more than happy to provide you with any information and to share each others experience :)

I am happy to receive the information in a private message.  My apologies I do not mean to violate the rules of the discussion board.  Just looking to take advantage of experience of the members.

Most reutible breeders, who have show quality pups, are very selective to whom they will sell those pups to, and as is quite often the case, require retention of some ownership. They do so to protect both the breed and their hard work and efforts. You may have to build a relationship with a breeder to have the opportunity to acquire a pup within the scope you have described.

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, and understanding that breeders are not named here, do we have breeders in the UK (mostly around the Kent area) that I could talk with?

more than happy for them to contact me off site if need be (and I also realize the site is going to be down for the weekend and parts may take a while to kick back into gear)

found a few in the north of the UK (and in Ireland) but as I don't drive it would be hard to go see the pups AND then go collect her (but then a couple of train rides with a bundle of husky could make a great adventure for us both)  I really need London or Southern UK

found a lot on gumtree etc. and the like, but not sure they are breeders (none would advertise that way I would think) and have mixed feelings about those ads (part of me is saying no, they are NOT breeders and are just doing this for the money, one step down from a puppy farm and part of me says, yeah, OK, but you are saving that puppy from being a bait dog or such)

Thanks

Gaz

I live in Orpington so right next door to you and I've gotta be honest I've not heard of any local KC breeders although there could well be some further out into Kent, Surrey, Essex. Have you tried looking on the kennel club website to see if they've got a current list of breeders? If you're considering gumtree then why not look into the rescues? We can get to battersea pretty easily from Bromley South and there are a few smaller rescues dotted around the borough too.

Thanks for the reply Emma. I did look into rescue a while back but they either tell me my house is not big enough (three bed terrace with 60 ft garden and 6 foot fences all around) or one person in the house (who shall remain nameless) starts her 'I don't want another dog' so they say I can't have one.

it all gets very messy quickly

that is why I tend to go with breeders - I know a lot will still ask the questions but my dog is family. pure and simple and I'd prefer a puppy to be honest

Gaz

They turned you down with a three bed house?! That's mad! Good luck with your search. I did have a quick look myself on the kennel club website out of curiosity and saw two named. One in Tonbridge and the other in Gillingham.

yeah, I never understood that either - my house is a lot bigger than the kennel the dog is living in now plus she would have access to the garden almost 24/7 (of course there are times you don't want a husky, or any dog, to be in the garden)

I missed the one in Tonbridge - that is a train ride away but not too far. might have to go back for another look.

Gaz

Crazy, we have a 2 bed terrace and cope perfectly well with two (and they don't go upstairs!)......one of whom is a rescue but it was more important that we would be great owners than the size of our house.....I guess each rescue has a different requirement for their new parents...?

Emma, yes I noticed that about the KC check.... not sure how that affects the breeders - surly they would not put them on there if they were suss.

but I shall keep my ears and eyes open.

Carly, either that or I just happened to get a jobsworth. hate that they come to visit anyway, that to me is only needed if you have never had the breed before. it SHOULD be about being a good owner. does not matter if you live in a tent - in fact, if I lost my house and the only place I could live with my dog was a tent, I'd live in a tent with my dog. my dog's come first as they are family!!!

I will NOT give up. I need a husky in my life again

Gaz

We have some truly amazing Siberian Breeders out here in Canada... might want to check out our breeder listings... however, in my experience, most breeders will specialize in ether work dogs (obedience being a rare trait but we do have them), show dogs, or simply as family pets.

It sounds to me like you want it all from your Siberian, and although not impossible to find, almost impossible to acquire- breeders will generally keep the best ones for themselves... had my own girl not had a curl in her tail, she too would have been kept for breeding. Glad they didn't keep her though because I have a beautiful girl with an abnormally obedient disposition- not the best "work" dog though. She doesn't particularly like pulling. She'd rather follow behind me than be in front.