Hi All. First Time Listerner. First Time Caller.

HuskyDawgDad

Hello all.  I have had dogs of various types all of my life.  My family and I are getting our first huskies in just a few weeks.  Below is a picture of the new pups. 

A little about myself, I am a work at home Dad with a wife and two daughters.  Because I work at home, I hope to minimize the destructive tendencies of my new huskies.  I just recently put down my Australian shepherd so I have plenty of experience with high energy, needy dogs.

A couple of questions for the group.  What are the best ways to occupy huskies to keep them from being board?  My Aussie was a frisbee dog so a few trips outside a day to catch frisbee kept him entertained.  From what I can tell, huskies are not really fetch kind of dogs.

For those who have 'husky proofed' their fence, what method works best?  I saw a post about using wire and concrete, but don't want to do that much destruction around the edges of my fence.  I was wondering if using a fine mesh steel lath would work just as well.  at 7.00/8ft sheet,  I can do my whole yard for around 125.00.  It should allow the grass to grow but keep digging pups from digging out.

Last question, why does everyone look at me like I am high for getting two at once?  Our thought was that two would keep each other occupied better than just one.

Jamie

post-13114-0-44992300-1433708675_thumb.j

Welcome to the pack , it's usually easier to get one pup at a time so you can focus on just training one specially as they'll both need separate training sessions n walks to stop them getting too attached to each other so as not to cause separation anxiety if anything heaven forbid happened to one

Welcome. [emoji3]

Huskies are intelligent dogs and do well learning new tricks and mental mind games to help occupy their minds. Some don't like to play fetch but others do, depends on their mood at the time. Lol.

High fences are a must as they can clear a six foot fence with ease if they wanted to.

Huskies are not an easy breed by any means. They're not a biddable breed like most other dogs and training one on its own can be challenging at times, two could be a fair bit harder but it is still doable. Just need bucket loads of patience and persistence.

Good luck with the pups, wishing you all the best in your journey through life together. [emoji3]

Hello and welcome. Two can be challenging but doable. They are a wonderful breed and that is very rewarding...but requires a lot of work to. Consistent training is key and to make sure they known whose boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hello: and welcome.  Sorry to hear that you have lost your Aussie dog :(.  

I have got mine in pairs this time, before it was one at a time.  So experience of both.  Fair to say my last 2 were rescues (RIP) and were not raised from puppies.  yup two is a hand full but I find it works.  They have company of each other, so instead of ripping the house to pieces they play together.  Not saying there has not been the odd cushion de stuffed, or the odd (lot of holes in the garden).  Training is a bit more difficult but its achievable.  My youngest Howler and Lucky (9 months)  pick up things from Noah and Bella (3 years come July) & in some ways they are better trained as we have the experience of raising 2 the same age with Noah and Bella.  Now we just have Lucky to stop pulling so much and Howler to leave the lady dogs alone and we are nearly there.  Ha ha, famous last words. 

As for fencing we have  4/5 foot panels and trellis's on top bringing it to 6/7 feet, a 6 foot hedge which we had to put fencing all a long as Howler was able to weave himself through it.  Main thing to remember is they can dig a hole in record time so paving slabs etc is a must.  I cut down a load of trees a couple of years ago and used all the branches etc to put round the edge of the garden.  Best thing though is not to leave them in the garden on their own.   

They are both gorgeous looking pups. :wub:.