Sick Nikko :(

Jay

Have a poorly Nikko :(. Yesterday morning he woke me up at 4:30 to go potty which is out of the ordinary with him. Everything seemed fine but afterwards he was restless and wanted to go back downstairs where he threw up a very small amount of clear liquid. At breakfast he wasn't interested in food and kind of laid around.

Monday evening he ate food and seemed normal but he had diarrhea so I gave him some pepto. This morning I decided to withhold his food and just gave him some canned pumpkin but he wouldn't eat any of it. We went on a walk and he threw up a lot of the stuff he ate yesterday and still had soft stool.

I didn't think much of it and figured if he doesn't get better id take him into the vet tomorrow. But then he jumped up and acted like he was going to throw up but yelped like something was hurting him and was afraid to he touched. So he is going into the vet asap when they can get him in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am trying to keep my composure...but Nikko is at the vet right now.  I forgot that he tore up a comforter Sunday night.  When the vet heard that he thinks it could be a blockage. 

They are doing xrays now, which may or may not show anything.  If that shows nothing, then they can do barium x-rays which would cost hundreds of dollars, and are not that reliable if it is cloth he ate, and many times ends up requiring surgery anyway.  They said a lot of times they end up opening them up and there is nothing there anyway and they end up being fine.

So we can either just have them do the surgery, or wait a day to see if he improves.  I will post more when I find out more information.

Oh Jay, hope this gets resolved for both your sakes.  

they took the first xrays, but they cut off part of the stomach so they cant see everything, but it looks good.  Nothing looks dilated as would be expected and nothing is "accordioned up" like there would be if there was a blockage.  They are re-doing them now

He had to be sedated to do the xrays, they looked good, nothing that would indicate a blockage except that his bowels are empty, which is a concern.  He is coming home and if does not improve we will have to take him back for surgery.

Here's hoping he picks up overnight. If he's been having diarrhoea and vomitting and not eating for a while then I would imagine there probably isn't a lot left in his digestive system at all.

I dont think there would be a lot in him either..there is a lot of gas though.

He got a strong anti-nausea injection, and the vet said if he does throw up, its likely there is a blockage.  He is also on anti nausea pills and antibiotics.  If no improvement by Thursday, then we go in for the surgery. 

post-7184-14338971327176_thumb.jpg

He seems to be feeling better. He still hasn't eat much but he stole some cheese off the counter so that's a good sign!! He's not interested in the food the vet gave him.

So after $300 hopefully he will be fine. Could have been much worse (although still have to monitor him over the next couple days). Now off to get pet insurance!!

Thanks, I sure hope he doesn't.  First, because I don't want him to have to go through that..second because it would be a huge financial burden.  But I am definitely getting insurance now!

He's still feeling sorry for himself. He won't eat the special food from the vet but did eat some chicken and rice. I hate that I have to go to work and not be with him today :(

post-7184-14339426307344_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear Nikko is on the mend,  :huskyhugs:     Know how you feel went through this with Lucky a little while back. Such a relief when they start looking at you for treats again.  :D   My Lucky cost me £1,700.00 in total, but they operated on him as a precaution as the xrays showed something in his intestine but they were not sure what.  Thankful I had insurance.

Jay, I'll be thinking of you guys.  Hope things work out for Nikko.  I was a mess when Zoya ripped her knee apart.

So some good news.  I talked to the vet.  She is not too concerned at this point that he hasn't gone #2, she said that it's common for them not to go for awhile after the injection and since he hasn't eaten too much.  Also, him being a little lethargic isn't too concerning because the ceriena injection and pills will sedate him.  It's good that he is drinking and eating something.

As long as he keeps getting better then we should be fine, and dodged a bullet having to get surgery.