Escaping From The Crate

StarrBrightt

So we adopted Loki that is 2 yo. He came with an airplane crate that he chewed a hole. I closed up the hole but he chewed through it and got out. Then day2 same thing, but I had Bedroom door closed, so he tore up the carpet, prob trying to dig under like he would a fence. So we bought a metal crate and he has gotten out of that 2x now. And this crate had an extra lockig mechinisam where the door has to be lifted up. Now debateing on just leaving him out. WHen he is not lock up in a bed room he doesnt destroy anything. He also cowers when i put him in the crate, so i think they may have used the crate as punishment, i am not sure. But they lied about him being fixed and his age. Also had a bunch of toys and kong full of PB.

I would then let him out of the crate..mine are they are only crated when camping...if you do want to or need to get a whole lot of tywraps...

See my recent post about my puppies killing a goose.  The crate in the picture...it has two doors with extra "secure" locking PLUS I added an additional padlock to the main door.  When I assessed the carnage, I saw booth doors were completely hinged shut.  The padlock was intact.  They were in the crate when we went to dinner...and obviously not when we got back!  Years ago my old husky chewed the plastic pan underneath her crate and tried burrowing through the carpet and plywood sub flooring below.

So basically if you give them enough time and they are bored they will find a way to do the impossible.  That said...the crate is invaluable for my wife and I and 99% of the time it is a great help to our life.  A 2 year-old though that has never been properly crate trained (or worse)...it may be difficult.  You can't assume toys and treats placed about will occupy them either.   

And all huskies are different so if keeping him out works for you, then there's no reason to not do it especially if he is totally housebroken.  But it's just like well-trained huskies off a leash...it's great until it's not.  So always be cautious and observant when you leave him especially if it is during or after an extended stretch of inactivity.  The bottom line for us is that a tired husky is a good husky, whether in the crate or not.

Thank you for the advice. This is first time husky for me, and I am finding this breeds is very different than other dogs, lol Today I left him out of the crate. I figure he has been out of the crate every day even though i intially put him in the crate in the am. I made sure everything was put away and left him on eof those everlasting tire treats that should last hours. So we shall see when I get home, but i think he will be fine since the only time he was destrustive was when he got out of the crate and the bedroom door was shut.

well I have had my first husky now for a month and a half give or take and not had a problem with him

apart from one accident in the house. I suppose the fact that I have two other dogs in the house to

keep him company and occupied has prevented any boredom issues.

Poor boy went from being an only dog owned by students to being one of a pack of mutts dwarfed by the

giant shepherds.

we used to use cable ties to keep ours in...Skye doesn't have them now as shes quite happy to stay in, Holly on the other hand, well she chews the cable ties off so now we have padlocks to keep her in....however she needs 2 padlocks otherwise she will squeeze herself out through a tiny gap in the door if there is only one on????

we used to use cable ties to keep ours in...Skye doesn't have them now as shes quite happy to stay in, Holly on the other hand, well she chews the cable ties off so now we have padlocks to keep her in....however she needs 2 padlocks otherwise she will squeeze herself out through a tiny gap in the door if there is only one on????

Dang...that's my problem...I need TWO padlocks on the crate to make it escape proof!

They-are-known-escape-artists.jpg

When Lobo was younger, we crated him whenever we weren't home, otherwise he would do "bad stuff".  While he hasn't chewed up furniture or carpets, he would dump the garbage cans, pee in the house and chew things he shouldn't. We had a metal crate and had to use zip ties because he somehow learned to collapse it and get out. Once he couldn't do that, he always somehow pushed out the plastic tray below him but was still crated. Once he was over a year, we began to leave him loose for short periods of time and he did fine. Now he is 2 and we can leave him alone during the day for hours and he sleeps. He seems to come to life in the evening so I don't like to leave him home alone much then but daytime Lobo is a sleepy boy.

We had to build up the trust with him outside the crate slowly. Maybe you can try a couple hours at a time and see how it goes.