Two Puppies At A Time?

HuskyDawgDad

So, we are wanting to get two puppies to replace the two dogs that we recently had to put down.  Initilly we didn't think much about the decision but after getting feedback from several people of the potential downside of two puppies, some very severe, I wanted to get your input.

There are 4 of us in the household.  My wife, two kids, 6-11 and me.  I work at home so I will be around all day.  The kids will be home all Summer.  We're getting them at the end of the month.

We are planning on two crates, possible one in each of our kid's rooms.  We will have two food bowls.  We can spend plenty of solo time with each pup, walks, training, playtime.  Can anyone who has raised two at once give me feedback?

Jamie

I have!  The downside was that the pups clearly bonded so closely with each other and less so with us humans. It was nice to have a pup per child though and they exercised each other well, but could turn into a pack and team up sometimes when out so we had to walk them separately too.

I didn't use a cage with mine, but these were German Shepherds not huskies. I am not sure I would everwant a dog cage in my kid's rooms though the kids need their space as do the dogs so maybe think about that and the obvious downsides to having them in their bedroom where they will be alone together? You will definitely need two of everything, food bowls and water etc but sounds like you already have that. Sorry to hear of the loss of your dogs, always very sad.

I think it can be hard work but it is doable.

With a number of huskies you always run the risk of them distancing themselves from their human owners, as they tend to bond better with their own kind.

I have a question, are the kids bedrooms upstairs?  The reason I ask is it;s not a good idea for puppies to climb stairs as it puts strain on their joints.  Also if the puppies were to have accidents in their crates, it might not be too good seeing they are in the kids room.

Bella and Noah have always from pups been together,  Howler and Lucky are Brothers.  We have had both sets from puppyhood.  Yes its double trouble time but it also has many benefits.  We had Howler first and he howled all night and was a litle lonely.  So when our rescue fell through we got his brother.  and two more happier bundles of mischief you could not wish to love.  Well 2 pairs of bundles 2 of mischief. :P

I would write an essay on the ups and downs but I am at work :D  If you have the time and the love and patience Go for it.

I've done both the only "child" and two puppies at once.

It was easier with two for me and my wife.  There are times when it is definitely more work but the positives out-weighed the negatives.  They feed at different bowls but they have always been in a single crate together.  The biggest positive is that they play with each other and exude energy more in that way than getting bored and being destructive.  That's not to say they don't do destructive things together at at times but you know, they are huskies.

With somebody always being home you have an ideal situation, better than most that's for sure...I would not hesitate to raise two together if I were you.  One husky is more work than most people can handle or realize but if you are able to do it...then two is not that much of a leap.

Plus...they will love each other forever.  Sushi and Mochi are soulmates :)

10271578_10150767692494953_3674292032502

I have!  The downside was that the pups clearly bonded so closely with each other and less so with us humans. It was nice to have a pup per child though and they exercised each other well, but could turn into a pack and team up sometimes when out so we had to walk them separately too.

I didn't use a cage with mine, but these were German Shepherds not huskies. I am not sure I would everwant a dog cage in my kid's rooms though the kids need their space as do the dogs so maybe think about that and the obvious downsides to having them in their bedroom where they will be alone together? You will definitely need two of everything, food bowls and water etc but sounds like you already have that. Sorry to hear of the loss of your dogs, always very sad.

The losses were sad.  The first, our oldest, got bloat.  The second was senile and blind.  The first was an easier call at 14 years old he would not have survived the surgery.  The second was much harder.  It took a very long discussion with our vet, and I'm still sad.

We've always caged our dogs when they were pups but after that they had free roam unless we were going to be gone for a LONG time.  I will have to see how the huskies do as far as getting into things.  Hopefully they will keep themselves occupied and mostly out of trouble.

Another question for the group.  What percentage of inside vs. outside time do you do with them?  Our other boys were total inside spoiled brats.  We would put them out to go potty and they would be at the door begging to come back in as soon as they finished.  I was hoping the huskies would enjoy the outside more.

Good call on the joints.  We do have a two story house.  We'll have to start them down stairs then move them up after they are bigger.

Jamie

We had Bear and Ice as pups together and I can't lie, it was really hard work initially. There were times when I was pulling my hair out and in need of a good nights sleep. I likened it to a similar experience of having newborn twins.......who can run around the house all day long.

After a while things settled down and everything fell into place and normal life resumed. Just need to hang on in there and persevere. It can be done. :)

• 6 months later...

About the bonding to each other over me.

I didn't care if my girls did that because, to me, they're both huskies, so they should. And they did bond more with each other than me--at first. They are about to be 6 now, and I believe they love on me equally, look for me equally, and I'm the alpha (80% of the time), but from about 1 to 3 years old, they were pretty much only concerned about each other, bossing each other, teaching each other, loving each other, and getting on each other's nerves, just like kids. It can be easier to train. They figure out which one of them you're talking to. 

The only downside I see is what's gonna happen when the first one dies. The one that's left is gonna be inconsolable. Might have to get the survivor a puppy! 

I think to make the bonding experience successful, you have to love on them equally and individually. So I'd put one in her crate and play with the other and then switch. I would lay with and play with them both at the same time, too. I worked to establish that I was the alpha, so that they wouldn't get confused by why I was even in the house besides to pour water and feed them. When they played together, sometimes, I'd get involved in the wrestling and I even tugged toys with my mouth. yeah, committed. But I made it we three, as if I was one of them, and I think that it worked out, actually. From time to time, they do get preoccupied about where the sister is, and I feel I should separate them for long periods to get them used to being without each other, but I just can't stand to leave either of the alone. I need to make it a resolution to do it because it will help them when that "time" comes.