Hej From Sweden!

BlueWolf

Hello there. Just quickly stopping by for a moment by to give you an update about what the heck I'm doing these days.

I am eleven days into my amazing journey through Scandinavia and it's absolutely fantastic. I have been camping in the wild a few times. It's great though it's been getting way colder than expected here up north. The winter hasn't properly arrived yet, so right now I'm staying in a cabin. Which also happens to have wifi so that's cool :)

I have seen many animals. Both on the road as well as during camping. At one night I actually got woken up by some kind of animal sniffing my tent and bumping into my head, lol. No idea what the animal was. Yesterday I got briefly surrounded in my car by a herd of reindeer. You see them literally everywhere and it's impossible to drive for half an hour without seeing them. They don't care about cars at all.

I love it here. Earlier this week I stayed at a small town that had two huskyfarms, one of them being the neighbours. Every morning and evening they would all howl together, making the sound of the their beautiful howls echo across the valley while the sleddogs at the other farm would answer them. According to the people living there it's not uncommon to have wolves howl back at them. Everyone around here seems to have some kind of sleddog. Huskies, greenland dogs and all kinds of breeds in between. Even the supermarket I went it was decorated with giant posters of huskies.

Part of the reason of why I am making this journey is because I wanted to go to Norway and Sweden again. Just on me and my car, all on my own. But also because I'm looking at the future and know I want to move up here at some point. So I am also looking at jobs, or at least trying to make some contacts and building up some kind of experience. So with that I have also visited many, *many* huskyfarms. I have talked with lots of kind people all with interesting stories. I have cuddled with sleddogs (Siberian and Alaskan huskies) and listened to all the things the owners have to tell about them. And here's the real kicker.... I may have found a place where I can volunteer for a while. No, seriously. I can stay and eat there for free so I won't lose any money over it. But it will mean I can stay here for much longer than my budget originally allowed. All the while I will be working on a huskyfarm. Both on the farm as well as with the sleddogs themselves. I'm waiting for a confirmation email to come in this week (which means I have work for for anything between 4 weeks up to possible multiple months...!). But even if that doesn't work out with this particular place I have a few more locations that I know are looking for helper during the summer.

In other words, life is going amazing and the future is looking bright!

Here are some photos. Warning: A lot of photos!

The first of the many signs I was in the right area.

post-2355-0-15985700-1434193164_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-86176100-1434193168_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-62132700-1434193172_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-86456400-1434193176_thumb.jp

Most places required me to take many dirt roads to get there. This was the end result of one of those visits.

post-2355-0-13337800-1434193181_thumb.jp

Reindeer!

post-2355-0-31192800-1434193239_thumb.jp

I found a 1,5km long wooden footpath next to the river. It's even more amazing when the sun is at its lowest point.

post-2355-0-00168900-1434193242_thumb.jp

Where I am now the sun sets and rises again 1.5 hours later. That means it's barely every dark and the sunsets/sunrises take about 6 hour. That is 6 hours of beautiful sceneries like this that never seem to stop.

post-2355-0-87218300-1434193244_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-94908700-1434193296_thumb.jp

Yesterday evening I went up to the hills to be completely on my own for while. I sat here enjoying the silence until midnight. The only things I heard were birds nearby and the water. Nothing else.

post-2355-0-35953800-1434193248_thumb.jp

My view at 11pm.

post-2355-0-74130000-1434193252_thumb.jp

Driving back home at midnight I encountered these :)

post-2355-0-86745400-1434193304_thumb.jp

Me.

post-2355-0-48854000-1434193301_thumb.jp

Oh wow, that really is a massive adventure. Such a beautiful place, I really can't imagine being in perpetual daylight, it must seem strange at first. Good luck with the job at the husky farm, hope all continues to go well. :)

I so enjoyed reading your post and viewing your pics Jos. Sounds like a great journey.

Ok I admit it I am jealous. lovely photos.  :D

It's an adventure that even I have no clue of how it will go. And it is amazing. I wake up in a tent, make breakfast, pack my stuff in my car and drive off to wherever I fancy driving to. It's only at the end of the afternoon I start thinking of where I will be staying for the night. Part of me wants to head down south more as it's much better weather there, but I also want to stay here because the area around the Arctic circle is amazing. And also the huskyfarm that may give me work is around here too. So no camping for now, but there's plenty of terrain to explore around here. The wilderness is at my doorstep.

Edit: To clarify, you are totally allowed to camp in the wild here. As long as you're not in direct sight of a house it's fine.