I Blew Up The Microwave.

Emma

I was defrosting and heating up some stuff in the microwave when suddenly it made a buzzing noise and started sparking from the round metal plate on the right hand side. I quickly turned it off and Paul took out the round cover and yep it had corroded. So I was looking up microwaves on the Internet and for the same spec you're looking at over £100! Sod that! So I looked up parts and found this round flimsy disc is called a "wave plate cover". Found a set of two on eBay for £15 and will be easy to install as it's just held in place with a single screw. Fingers crossed it works and I've saved myself a few pennies. [emoji3]

52da3170e575e0678b918edf98107f44.jpg

Ps. Ignore all the junk on top of the microwave. It's s dumping ground for all the odds and sods the family bring home. Even the dog crate has an electrical sanding machine sitting on top of it, lol.

569cf3579fa31c6fbbc644a3ffce7e71.jpg

Lol. So do I. Will not be impressed if we fit the new plate and realise something else is wrong with it which is what caused the damage to the plate. We've had a look at the parts behind the plate and they all look intact though so hopefully should work. This is the moment I think I should have married a "sparky" (electrician) instead of a heating man, lol. [emoji23] we really don't have a clue about microwaves.

Yeah. I'm learning my lesson. In fairness though this microwave has got to be about ten years old now, I think?! It's doing pretty well....our kettles seem to go up the shoot every other year. Blooming things don't last long in our house.

ok lets look at this logically

The plate is static and doesn't move.

therefore the plate is a cover. It cannot move and come into contact with anything.

Therefore the plate did not cause this it is simply a "casualty"

Something underneath the plate malfunctioned and shorted across to the plate.

Microwaves are not really a repairable items.

especially as it's an old item, I would play it safe and simply get a new one.

Does it really need all the bells and whistles,?

Did you use all the functions on all the settings or just defrost and full heat?

you can get them a lot cheaper if you don't go for the ones that can do everything.

You sound just like my dad. :) Xx

When I was cleaning the microwave at the weekend I noticed that a very small section of the plate had lost its protective coating that covered the metal so I was keeping an eye on it. I thought that this could be what caused it to start flashing and burning as it was burnt in the same place I noticed the coating had come off of. of course I could be wrong and it's just a coincidence. :erm:

Yeah I admit I don't use the oven very much but I do use the rest of the functions on a regular basis. The oven is just a fail safe should our actual oven go belly up (which it did a couple of years ago just before Xmas). So in all honesty I don't really need an oven microwave.

get a cheap replacement microwave to keep you going, then save up for the all singing all dancing version 

at least then you'll have something to cover most needs and then when you get a better one you've got a newish emergency back up