Crazy Loki

StarrBrightt

When I walk Loki, he sees another dog across the street, he jumps up and tries to bolt over to it. I have red marks all over my hand because he pulls and jerks. This only happens when he sees another dog across the street. Even when the other dog is calm. I pull back and tell him no, but he does not listen. I am considering a choke collar for training purposes. It worked when I had a bull mastiff, is there a better method to get him to listn?

Also if another dog growls at him, he will attack. At this point I am afraid to take him to vet or other place with dogs, unsure of how he will be.

Ice is like that, he gets so excited to see another dog but in the past could scare quite easily which led to him growling a bit, doesn't seem to growl very much anymore though.  His confidence has grown.
I do either of two things depending on the situation. Usually I spot the dog first and shorten his lead so he's right by my side and therefore can't pull me too much. I keep walking and when he spots the dog and starts leaping I just keep walking and tell him to leave it. If he does I praise him, if not well at least he didn't manage to drag me across the road. Lol.
The other thing I sometimes do is tell him to sit and he's happy to sit there and watch the other dog walk past. I only do this if the other dog is ignoring him and just walking on by. Wouldn't be very helpful to the other people if their dog was getting annoyed with our presence.

Are you sure it's aggression?  Growling can be a form of play.  Does your dog look like his intent is to harm another dog that growls?

And how old is he?  If you're not sure if he's socialized, then I'd get with a professional trainer and start working on that asap. 

I'm not a fan of choke/prong collars but head collars worked fine for me when I was teaching mine to walk and heel next to me regardless of other distractions.

They're around the same price give or take a few dollars but I've seen so many people leave choke/prong collars on their dog so often that the dog is used to the pinching feeling and pulls anyway, making it harder for them to breathe lol .. (and making the purpose of the collar, useless)

Like everything else , a dog must be taught how to walk properly.  You or a trainer needs to teach him what is okay and what is not . Pulling on a walk regardless of breed is unacceptable (for me, at least )  

If you do decide to get a choke/prong collars just don't pull back , pull to the side.   Pulling back just makes them want to get at the target more.

Lobo is the same way when he sees another dog on our walk. I use a front hook harness which helps me control the jumping and pulling when he gets so excited and I also try a leave it command. I have had only some success with teaching him to leave it and ignore the other dogs. He loves other dogs but I think his enthusiasm sometimes scares them (and their owners),

Choke collars make me nervous, you really have to know what you are doing so you don't hurt your dog.

Not sure about the growling, although I know some dogs growl when they play and it's not aggressive, it's just how they play.

I started telling him come come come and keep walking which i think me saying come come distracts him. He did well last night only tried to go after 1 out of 5 dogs, so it is starting to work thank god.  though he peed all over my babies play pen 2 days in a row, which really made me mad im thinking maybe he is jealous of the baby not sure cause he pees inthe house almost daily when we are at work, but seems to be getting more comfortable with us. it has been almost 2 weeks since we got him. I think it is just going to take time and a lot of patience lol

I wouldn't use a choke on a husky they can get caught in the fluff, a headcollar would be better. Do you use his name first for instance "Loki Come"  Loki Sit" "Loki down" etc that way calling his name first should get his attention.

Most vets have a back door that can be use. We have a deaf GSD and she needs to use the back entrance so I go into the vets book her in and wait then go get her when it's our time and we get let in the back door without any fuss of meeting dogs etc.

With the peeing on your baby's playpen that should not be tolerated at all, it could be a sign of domination or hierachy and jealousy, I would be very careful and even keep the dog in the kitchen safely away from the baby.

To be honest you have your work cut out by voluntarily bringing an adult husky into an environment with a baby, and I am sure you must have a good reason for it.

We had a dreadful situation where the beloved dog we had before the children were born got jealous and bit one of the kids (thankfully just biting his trousers so no harm done), that day we re-homed him with friends as we could never trust him again around the house with the babes.

You have me worried abit, lol I do not think he is jealous. Heno longer growls at the baby when he has a toy. He even lets the baby pull on him and play with his toys. I think that happened because of my older dog being hostile and him being nervous in a new house. He seems very tolerate of the baby and never left alone. that is why we use th e playpen when I cant watch. also loki goes right up to the baby and gives lots of kisses. I think that maybe it was a huge change and due to him being mistraeted at his home was a huge problem. he seems to be getting better slowly. SInce he get out of the crate we decided to let him roam th ehouse. he pees in the house, so i do not think he really was paying attention to what he was peeing on. we will be moving cople of weeks where we can have him in a big mud room confined so doesnt have free range of th ehouse. so i think lots of things will be better.

If both the dogs and children are taught to respect each other then you should be ok. We raised children with dogs and made it a point to ensure that the children didn't take away toys they were playing with, didn't climb on them or pull them around, didn't mess around with their food. Just taught them to respect the dogs basically and things all turned out good. The dogs also had a safe area and when in there they had total escape from the children and a place to relax. We taught the kids that they were to leave the dogs alone completely if they were in their safe zone. It worked for us. [emoji2]