Hi All From California!

amozo

Hi!

I am currently in the process of locating the perfect breeder in my area. I want to be prepared and make sure I am the right type of owner before I commit to this beautiful breed. I am hoping to learn much from all of you and to receive responses to any specific questions I may have that wasn't answered through my extensive online research. Hello all! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned 5 Huskies. My first Husky was stolen when he was 10 months old. He had anxiety attacks when I would leave to go to work, He broke 3 kennels, scratched the window seals, tore up blankets We finally found a place in the country and he had free run of the place, he loved it, he would swim in the ponds and run wild with his little terrier buddy. One day I came home from work and he wasn't there to greet me like he did everyday. I posted pictures on every tree, business, in 3 towns and nothing. That was 4 years ago.

Last year I bought a female and named her Luna, she was the best dog I ever had, I took her to doggy daycare everyday that I worked so she could burn up her energy. When my husband left to work in another state he took her with him, I set up daycare for her there as well but they only had boarding available. Last Friday when he arrived to Daycare to drop her off. He got out to walk with her a little, she saw a rabbit come out of the bushes and jumped up to get it and somehow broke her halter, she ran straight to the Highway and got hit by a car, when he got her to the vet they pronounced her dead. My life turned upside down that day

Really think about how easy it is to lose a dog before taking on that responsibility.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your huskies. I have done countless research on huskies. I plan on crate training my puppy and have him/her crated for 4 hours max while I am gone to work M-F, and crated 7-9 hours a day total M-F. I will only crate the dog before we have gone on a walk in the morning and will have 1 hour in the morning to run and exercise the dog once it is 1 years old and 1-2 hours in the evening. I hope that consistent daily exercise and mental stimulation/play time with my other dogs will curb destructive behavior and escaping. Although, I know some huskies will be escape artists no matter how much they are exercised. I do hope I never have to run into an issue in which my dog escapes, is stolen, or hit by a car. I am sorry you had to deal with that. 

Edited by amozo

I love Huskies very much, I love how they woo, talk, play, look up at you with a big smile on their face. They are awesome dogs, I just had really bad luck. I learned a lot from all of them. Not one was the same, all personalities different, 3 had blue eyes, one had bi eyes, and Luna had beautiful brown eyes I wish you the best on your choice, I will always choose a husky over any other dog.

I have to crate Cheza when I'm at work also we go on daily walk/runs depends on if the weather is husky friendly. Nothing beats how much love she has to give when I come home later. Cheza tends to be more destructive than an escape artist.  If it helps I would suggest plenty of toys for your Husky to chew up.  Don't spend a lot because in my experience they get shredded pretty quick.

Cheza shredded a brand new kong wubba in under 15 minutes.

On a side note about toys I would caution you on the puppy version of nylabones.  In my experience they mean young puppy.  When Cheza hit 6 months old she ate her puppy nylabone in a night.

I guess the point I am trying to make is in my experience giving them exercise and inexpensive/interesting toys should keep them from destroying the house.

Hope you can benifit from my recent experience as a new husky owner.