mistaken for a wolf????

Jennifer&Luna

hi everyone. ive got a feeling this is going to be more of a rant than a question. has your husky ever been mistaken for a wolf?? i only ask as tonight on a walk with luna i had a bit of a run in with a middle aged lady and her shitzu. she told me i should be careful walking that thing in public and if i pass a police officer they will confiscate my wolf!!!! i must admit i did laugh at first and told her luna was a husky but the crazy lady was having non of it. she even gave me a huge lecture on how owning a wild animal was illegal and that my wolf was going rip off someones face. In the end i walked away stunned, its not often im lost for words but this had me dumbfounded. the more i think about it the more bizarre it becomes! so it got me wondering if anyone else had ever experienced such ludacris.???

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the wolf thing at least once a month...my reply is normally...yes offcourse I am walking 2 wolfs any sane person would do that...then I say go look at wolves and then compare sizes...

From time to time you do run across a few people who seem to think that huskies are wolves.  I haven't personally had anything quite so drastic as you experienced, that certainly was all out crazy stuff!  :huh:

Edited by Emma

Yes I have experienced this numerous times with Jax our husky!! We try where we can to correct people just to educate them as they may genuinely not know the difference. But it can be very frustrating!! I had a lecture once by a lady with a jack Russell because I had Jax ON the lead!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well thank goodness it isnt just my dog. she doesnt even look like a wolf since she is all white. im starting to think this lady may have needed some help regarding her mental health. i hope i dont run into her again, not sure i want to have to experience anymore of her crazy!!

I've had a couple of people have a go at me for not letting my husky off the lead as well.  In both cases I tried to educate them, gave up When it became apparent I wasn't getting anywhere and then walked off before I said something rude to them, lol.

Edited by Emma

That's hilarious what a silly woman! Funny how uneducated people can be really. I don't think people know much about the husky breed until they decide they want one and look them up in detail. To most people they are a "wolf" because they are the closest breed to one it's a very simple minded view.

It's never happened to me. Here in Canada it seems everyone knows about huskies as a breed. They may not know much about their temperaments or characteristics, nor the different breeds classified as a "husky" but no one has ever mistaken my dog for a wolf aside from the odd young one barely old enough to talk.

Huskies don't look much like wolves in my opinion... but we also have quite a few hybrids and even one full blooded timber in my area so maybe I'm just accustomed to the visual discrepancies. Wolves are unruly looking, bigger, and have different facial bone structure, and different eyes- they look wild. They also walk differently. The only real similarities I see is the length and thickness of the hair but even that at closer proximity looks different.

The only reason I could ever see someone mistaking a husky for a wolf is because they often portray them as such in movies and on TV.

Edit*

Wolves look like wolves- huskies look like dogs >.<

Edited by SibeHush

Usually only kids too. Would depend on where you live I guess. I'd say majority of people in Australia have never seen a real wolf before (myself included) so probably think of ones they see on TV/movies as what real wolves look like - and huskies are used often in that role.

Yep I have had that happen a number of times. I went to 2 schools that had huskies as their mascots so I've always known what they looked like but I guess that's not the case for everyone. If I objectively look at my pup, I guess he looks intimidating, but I don't see wolf. Strangers don't know what a sweet, friendly, big baby he is when they see him.

I think part of the confusion is that huskies often are used to portray wolves in movies.  That is certainly a disservice to the breed.

I was thinking about this last night, had numerous 'wolf' comments over the weekend, along with plenty of everyone's favourite 'where's your sledge?'.

Not to mention the lecture that using a harness was wrong, that slip/ choke collars will stop pulling, he needs better training. Topping it all, the lady who categorically stated that he cannot be a Husky as he does not have GREEN eyes. Now that was a first.

Guess I have no idea what I am doing or what kind of dog I have.:D

I did however smile when a lady said to her little boy 'look at that wolf'. To which the little boy shook his had and said 'No mum, that is a Siberian Husky'. :up:

Edited by Guinnessman

LOL today I went to Cardiff to pick up some impossible to get locally food items (I cook a lot of Asian and Indian)  three things happened

On the way down the train was almost empty and guess what the one person who gets on a couple stations after me tried to demand that I move carriage as they are allergic to dogs. I refused seeing as I had all my stuff on the table husky underneath

The Guard came along thankfully he is a regular and he knows me and she tried the same thing on him "I am allergic to dogs I paid for my ticket and other rubbish" to which he replied "Madam there are three empty carriages feel free to move to one of them he paid for his ticket too and got on several stops before you"

Get to Cardiff walk around for a while enjoying the sites and get people calling my husky a wolf and kids run away screaming

Get to my store and pick up my shopping pre bagged and waiting for me to collect start heading home and get on a packed train and guess who is on the same train, yes her from the morning but this time she has friends one of who gets in my face about killing her friend get out the carriage this being said in a near shriek. My husky jumps up me and I stress that he jumped up on me was facing me he did not growl whine bark or make any movement towards her at all.  suddenly she starts screaming "I have been attacked that dog bit me call the police call the RSPCA its a dangerous dog its a racist attack" 

I now have her and 4 other people screaming at me pointing phones at me accusing me of being racist of attacking them having a dangerous dog Guard comes along gets screaming at and filmed as well other people in the carriage are either trying to look small and not get involved a few start telling the guard that its all rubbish (thankfully they came in on my side) 3 stops down the line train stops police get on board

Again I get accused of having a dangerous dog or making a racist attack whilst they are telling the story to the female police officer the two guys are making a fuss of Louie nice husky how old etc. quarter hour later train carries on without the African family or friends as they got dragged off the train as they police had viewed the incident on the trains CCTV spoken to the other passengers.

I did make it worse because I insisted they do something about the slurs to my character for  being called a racist which obviously I am not as I never said or did anything. I really am not going to let this drop as I am insulted that they even tried pulling the race card on me when all I had done was step onto a train and suddenly I am being shouted at without even saying a word.

oh goodness me. what an ordeal you have had. i just dont understand the whole fear dangerous dog malarky. any dog can be dangerous i firmly believe it is the humans and not the breed.  anyway huskys are known for being friendly and good with children. i think people just like the drama to be honest !

I think my train thing was because this young woman who hadn't sat down wanted to force me to pick up my coffee, sandwich, paper and pot of dog treats, get my rucksack on and move away from her. But because I took the attitude of first come first served on a train of four carriages three of which were mostly unoccupied. Who tried to complain to an official who shot her down and told her she had three dog free carriages should could move to. Who must of then moaned and whined to her friends about the nasty dog owner and official

The friends one of whom is a drama queen mouth outspoken (three letter word you get milk from it) decides to mouth off at me and thanks to her mouth is now being charged by the police for making false charges and I cant remember what the other charge is as they called me to see if it goes to court would I be able to attend to see her get a few hundred pounds worth of fines and a criminal record  

I've been asked quite a few times if Harry is a wolf (think it's his orange coloured eyes). Mostly children with mothers dragging them across the road to avoid getting to close. I just smile to myself and let them think what they like :)