This post is going to make you jealous: I met wolves face to face today

BlueWolf

Today I did something that I never thought I would be able to do. Some of you may have seen videos of people inside a wolf enclosure with wolves licking/kissing people's faces. Well, as I have found out that place was actually around the corner for me. And guess what? Today I have actually visited the wolves!! It exceeded every expectation. I've also learned to do the proper wolf greeting: I French kissed a wolf today :redface1:

We were with a small group. 5 people in total and 2 caretakers. We've sat through an hour of (very important) instructions on how to behave around the wolves. What to do and what not to do. What clothes to wear, what objects not to bring with us, etc. And after that it was finally time to go and meet the wolves. The wolves are still very young (a little over a year old), are very playful and thus sometimes forget about their size. So the first thing you'll encounter when you go in is a heavy wolf jumping up to you, trying to lick your face along the way. And you think your dog has bad manners?? Lol. We stand around in a circle and ignore the wolves for a while so they calmed down. And then we sat down and let the greeting begin.

Now for those not aware of this, a (submissive) wolf who greets that by licking the face and mouth of the other. Or more preferably, *inside* the mouth. Yes, you read that correct, that's the way wolves greet. So if you really want to become friends with a wolf, just open your mouth and let it happen. If you face away from them or keep your mouth closed they'll just get more persistent - as said by the caretaker who then showed us how to do it properly.

So I'm only just sitting down and sure enough I immediately have multiple wolves around me, very eager to greet me. I decided to just let it all happen and let the wolves to their thing. I have no idea how I would even begin to describe it. It's just a absolute wonderful feeling having a wild animal like a wolf so intimate close to you. For that single moment you are totally in his control while you are quite literally nose against nose, teeth against teeth and tongue against tongue. It's an adrenaline rush but also very comforting in a weird kind of way. Some are very careful and others are very demanding, literally shoving their face up to yours, trying to lick you as best as possible. If that wasn't a proper French kiss I'm not sure what it is. It's quite literally the best thing I've ever had and I am not ashamed to admit it. The wolves certainly enjoyed it too, considering they had their eyes closed while doing it. They were totally comfortable being around us either. They very quickly learned who liked the kissing and who didn't, so of the 5 people in the group they kept coming back to me and one other person next to me. I wasn't scared in the slightest. I loved it. I can see how the entire idea of this frightens some people but to them I have only one thing to say: You have no idea what you are missing out on...

And to end it all the wolves started howling! A wolf howl is an amazing thing to listen to but to actually hear it from a meter away and actually see it... No words can describe it... Goosebumps... And while they were howling the wolves on the other side of the park responded back so you could hear wolf howls coming from everywhere! An experience to never forget no doubt! I'd recommend everyone who has the opportunity to do this, to immediately book it. Throw all the money you have at it, it's 100% worth it.

Here are some photos :) I have videos too but they'll have to wait until I have a proper wifi connection somewhere.

DSC00085.thumb.JPG.268c4583ed5c53ac48ca8

vlcsnap-2015-06-24-19h05m11s633.thumb.pn

vlcsnap-2015-06-24-19h05m38s568.thumb.pn

vlcsnap-2015-06-24-19h07m04s583.thumb.pn

vlcsnap-2015-06-24-19h10m08s195.thumb.pn

DSC00067.thumb.JPG.b8603e78f22828f560d8b

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.3c3fe923f714239d54fd5

DSC00077.thumb.JPG.34329b18486857e293e8f

DSC00081.thumb.JPG.78a816168e3fa4edf5a59

IMG_3026.thumb.jpg.5fefff9fa4d5b6579b6b5

IMG_3083.thumb.jpg.a7ee6967a00bc28ac5c66

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.7088f4cb81b54d7bbdcf1

IMG_3132.thumb.jpg.9a4a1ac598b3e25451820

IMG_3166.thumb.jpg.be5129277587e8cbedfff

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome Pics Jos (as always)

WOW would so love to have been there with you.

Well done mate.

That's a big tick off your bucket list.

Wow wow wow amazing. My hubby so jealous wolves are his favourite, mine bears and you met one if them too. If you'd met a panda I'd have to stop speaking to you! Seriously though so happy you've got to fulfil one of your dreams xxxx

Wow wow wow amazing. My hubby so jealous wolves are his favourite, mine bears and you met one if them too. If you'd met a panda I'd have to stop speaking to you! Seriously though so happy you've got to fulfil one of your dreams xxxx

They have plenty of more bears! In fact, in one area they had two bears (one of them pictured) and two wolves together. The bear pictured was begging for food because he knew the caretaker that was giving a tour at the moment had food with her. He kept talked back to her, jumping up and standing up to get her to throw more food down, lol.

I love seeing them but honestly my interest is more with wolves, lol.

oh wow Jos that's amazing!!!!

That bear looks so sad though :( awwww 

Nah, he wasn't. He was trying to speak to the caretaker who was doing a guided tour through the park. He knew she had meat with her so he tried everything (sitting, standing, running, talking and even waving) to get her attention to throw some food his way, lol.

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.7deb11a6d0c6dcb4e2f05

Can we delete this post please? It's too depressing in the fact I wasn't there :( Looks like an amazing experience. Definitely on the bucket list :D

Love that pic of one laying upside down - can see where the huskies get it from :D

Edited by Dan

Can we delete this post please? It's too depressing in the fact I wasn't there :( Looks like an amazing experience. Definitely on the bucket list :D

Love that pic of one laying upside down - can see where the huskies get it from :D

Yeah, they were totally relaxed around (strange) humans. That's the sign that they are taken good care of imo!

That.... is ..... the most wonderful thing that I have ever seen! We have a wolf facility not too far from us here, now we will definitely have go visit these great creatures.

• 1 month later...