Teething Question

oscarxlpz

Good morning all. I have a 3 month old puppy named Ace (Male). (I will try to post pictures up soon through my phone)

My question has to do with him bitting my hand for the most part. It is somewhat clear to him that he shouldn't bite on us as we redirect that behavior to his toys and i know that he understands that because he doesn't bite my sister nor my mother. 

i'm not referring to agressive bitting, but thing is that he only does that to me, and it even happens when i'm rubbing his back or simply petting him. He does stop when i tell him "No" but theres has been 2 incidents where he has bit me pretty hard.

Can anyone suggest what this type of behavior might mean? 

We went through the exact same thing when our girl was 3-6 months old. Teeth were sharp as anything and she had a tendency to nip toes and fingers. We tried getting her into toys, balls and even frozen teething rings for children. She did eventually stop but did manage to draw blood on a few occasions. I presume its just an age thing (though i may be wrong) and as they are teething they just enjoy chewing pretty much anything. Maybe try squeaky toys, that tends to hold their attention a bit longer. Also, a friend recommended (and we tried) when they bite your hand, put your hand further into their mouth (not fingers down throat but far enough for very very slight discomfort) this way they associate chewing your hand with an unpleasent experience and may stop sooner. Im definitely no expert on this matter but thats what we tried with our girl and shes now 19 months. See what other people say too and just try a variety of things. Hope this helps. Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Nipping, mouthing, biting, all to be discouraged.  Displace your hand with a chew toy, ignore the dog and turn away, let out a shrill sound, and finally give them a firm, "No Bite!"  Takes time. Huskies are not the easiest dogs to train, in part because they are not necessarily interested in pleasing you, but pleasing themselves.  So you have to make it worth their while, give them something they value as an alternative, or take something away that they value.  Sounds a bit contrary, but in the case of biting, offer them an alternative like a chew toy.  If they value the chew toy more than your hands, the dog will turn to the chew toy.  Now, taking something away when they are biting your hand, would be to ignore them, by taking your companionship away from them. You bite, I leave.  Huskies hate to be ignored or left alone.  Once they associate the biting to being ignored, the biting will drop off.  The key is to be consistent and persevere.

I agree with Mazz, you need to discourage this right away, but it does take time.  Things you can substitute your hand for, are to freeze baby carrots, or there are some teething toys you can put in the freezer for them.  I also found that an old washcloth, soaked and frozen, can help with teething.  

Lobo was mouthy when he was a puppy and those puppy teeth are sharp! We also used a frozen washcloth and carrots as well as toys. I think he was probably closer to 6 months by the time we had it under control. Distraction, substitution and consistency is the best advice I can offer but it also took time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all, to those who replied. I took some of the suggestions Turner mentioned and Ace is doing A LOT better with the teething situation.

Mazz, I agree consistency is key! Ace is getting the flow of things and in many cases only needs to be told once to stop, and he stops. :D