New husky's toilet problem...please help!

SiobhaninYarm

hi there,

I recently re-homed a 2 year old husky just over a week ago. He came into my care because his previous owner didnt have the time to excersise him or pay him attention on a basic level. He is a lovely dog, gets on well with my 3 year old terrier and is great with my 4 year old daughter. He's very affectionate and enjoys playing with the other dog, all in all he settled in brilliantly. My problem is that when he poo's, not only does he squat to poo and walks around meaning it goes all over, his poo is more like milkshake consistency (sorry to be so graphic but im getting very concerned)
The previous owner was giving him food she got from a wholesalers where she got her supplies for the horse she has. I gave him bakers complete for all breeds as i want to try and feed the two dogs the same food and he ate it yet no change in his poo. He's recently gone on to pets at homes brand of all breed dry food and there still hasn't made a difference although he's ate this for a week now. Can someone advice what i should do for the best of whether this is normal as this is the first husky I've had...oh,and previous owner said it was the usual for him :s. Surely this cant be right???

I forgot to mention, he is also quite skinny for his breed!

Did you gradually make the food switch over several days, like 7-10 days?  Huskies do generally have sensitive stomachs so a sudden switch could cause this.   So too can over feeding.  They generally require slightly less food than the feeding guidelines stated on the box.  Foods with high grain content can also upset their stomach, bakers has a fair bit of filler ingredients and none of mine can tolerate it.  The girls get wainwrights but my boy can only handle tins of chappie, believe it or not.  And it has to be the original fishy one as even a change of flavour can set him off.  

Try giving a diet of plain boiled chicken and rice for a few days to help settle things down and then gradually reintroduce a normal food slowly over a few days.  

Edited by Emma

No, as it was from a wholesale shop and the previous owner didn't send any with him, he went straight to bakers and then straight to pets at home brand. I have had him for 10 days and he seemed to settle well after about 24 hours. Hoping its the food issue then. Thanks 

My checklist...

1. Food Allergies

2. Heat

3. Stress

4. Change in diet 

5. Over eating

6. Indigestion from physical excretion soon after eating

7. Illness (parasites, bacteria, diseases)

8. Eating inappropriate things (feces, grass, garbage)

Hope it helps. Good luck.

I feed my dog grain free and it helps. For a short period we tried a high quality but not grain free food and it caused loose stools and lots of walking around when he was going. I have found dogfoodadvisor a great resource for determining food quality, although not sure if it only had US foods.