Pulling...excitement... Distractions...

mindym09

Hey everyone! Need some advice. Nitro is about to turn 9 months old. On our walks, he seems to do pretty good. But if we see another person, and or dog, he wants to go after them. Or if we go to a new area to walk, or a new park, he pulls the whole time. I've been trying to practice with him inside and in my yard to not pull. I just don't know how to break this habit of his. Like I said, in our usual walks he does pretty good. Sometimes he just gets too excited. Any advice will help! Thanks.

We use a head collar to stop the pulling and keep him focused, after 5-10 mins he usually calms enough for it to be unclipped (we use a double end lead attached to collar and harness.  He can be  put back on if need be :)

Edited by goingsolo

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you get your head collar and harness. I recently bought my husky a harness and it helped a lot with pulling, but it is not a great fit. 

Yes I would be interested in advice on a good walking harness.  I got one for Cheza by Kong but she pulls so much on it it doesn't keep shape and she slips it.

Caitlyn, I have found what the call leader leashes at places like petsmart.  They are normally on the isles with leashes in such but the section with boxed and specialty leashes. Hope that helps :)

Www.walkyourdogwithlove.com best non pull harness I've ever used (head collars didn't work)

I have never had to use one but have walked with others who do and these absolutely work. If you have a regular harness already you can simply wrap the leash across the front of their chest and it achieves pretty much the same thing.

Edited by jonnyc4t

I have never had to use one but have walked with others who do and these absolutely work. If you have a regular harness already you can simply wrap the leash across the front of their chest and it achieves pretty much the same thing.

See that didn't work with Blaze too clever n just stopped backed up then walked on to make the lead go round the right side of him lol , he's back in a normal harness now tho n walks lovely

Cheza yanks so hard she pulls the harness out of shape and then I have to remember to cinch it back down later otherwise she slipped it.  Thats what I get for thinking an off the shelf thing was going to be enough.  For a 40lb dog she puts up a fight. I got this one just because it had a handle on the back and it made it easier to grab but its not doing much good now.