Suka has bone cancer

Elyse

Well, its a high possibility he has bone cancer. Let me start from the beginning.

2 weeks or so ago I noticed he developed a bad limp on his front right leg, so obviously I took him to the vet. They gave him pain meds, and took an x-ray (because I thought it might have been broken or something). The first vet said he just had arthritis in that leg, and no sign of cancer. 

The 2nd vet (emergency, because he was crying from the pain) said that he can't be sure (because he didn't have the x-ray in front of him) but it might be bone cancer due to the amount of pain that he's in. 

So we decided to get a third? opinion. One of my hiking friends here, a husky breeder for 25+ years, suggested a place...but it needed a bit of a drive. We drove there anyway.
Once there, we showed them the x-ray. He said that the x-ray was poorly done and showed us why (they only took one, and only one angle) and suggested him to get more x-rays. 1 hour later (we got ice cream and I discovered the existance of Harry Potter chocolate frogs and every flavoured beans!). They took 3 x-rays and took only 1 hour, in comparison to my vet that only took 1 x-ray...which was of poor quality anyways and had him in for the whole day. For the same price. But I digress.

When it was time to come back, we were shown the x-rays and given the news. He has a lump on the bone, near his shoulder blade but not at the joint, on his front right leg. They said it is highly possible it is bone cancer (and that it is highly aggressive), and went through our options, but in the meantime they said they would send it to a radiologist for another opinion and to see if the cancer has spread. Then maybe a biopsy to make sure it really is cancer and not something else. 

They said that, if the cancer has not spread they can amputate the entire leg (including the shoulder, where it seems to be originating) to stop it from spreading. If it HAS spread to his chest (which would be the next likely place, they said), then we can either do chemotheraphy (which I don't want to put him through), put him down right away to prevent him from feeling the pain everywhere, or wait a couple of weeks and then put him down.

We haven't heard back from the radiologist yet, so we should hear something either today or tomorrow. 

Personally, I want to amputate his entire leg and shoulder if it hasn't spread (but then he has to go through months of physiotheraphy...would it be humane to put him through that?). And if it has spread, I'd want to put him down soon (drugged up on a lot of painkillers, of course)....just enough time to say goodbye. I don't want to keep him alive for weeks, and make him suffer more. 

So, that's where we are now. I just want to do what's best for him.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read this :(  Hugs from my pack, and we are wishing and hoping the best for you and Suka.  I know you will do what is best for him and will make the right decision.  I can't imagine what you are going through, and that has got to be the toughest decision ever.  We are all here for you

:huskyhugs:

Its sad news but I have known a few three legged dogs over the years so he should be ok yes it will take a while for him to learn to walk run and play again, But he will, and in 6 months he will be getting around as well as he used to. So I wish him and you all the best.

So sorry to hear this.

I know a little about bone cancer in dogs (osteosarcoma) because it is unfortunately common in greyhounds of which I have 3 and have many friends who have gone through this with their hounds.  Keep in mind it is the most painful kind of cancer there is.  If the dog is limping at all he is in pain.  Meds have to be titrated so there is no visible pain.  A good orthopedic vet can usually make the diagnosis without a biopsy.    The point of amputation is to control pain, not cure.  Osteo has almost always spread when diagnosed, you just can't detect it yet.  But that being said, you can get potentially many months of good quality life with amputation.  The chemo is typically not too hard on them also.  There is really not much physical therapy needed post-op.  Once they figure out how to get about with 3 legs you can't even tell they are missing one.

If you want a quick education on this diagnosis, I highly suggest you go over to the website greytalk.com.   There is a whole thread devoted to osteosarcoma (it is that common in greyhounds) under the medical section. Search the site for Osteo thread part 7.  There are also many archived threads under the same name.  There is much talk about treatment decisions, chemotherapy and palliative care.  They are a friendly, knowledgeable bunch.  The beginning of the thread has useful links for more information about the diagnosis.

Again, I'm sorry you have to possibly face this.

Julie

Cancer took my Yuki.  The onset was sudden and severe so I really didn't have time to deliberate on chemo...she was a healthy 7 year-old husky about to go on our Sunday fun day hike one minute, dying in my arms the next minute on the way to the emergency vet and after being resuscitated several times we just let her go.  Between that and our very next husky puppy we got, Sashimi - who we spent countless days and money on trying to save from a congenital birth defect...let's just say last summer was as rough a period as my wife and I have ever had.  $10,000 and two beloved huskies over the rainbow bridge later and things finally turned around for us and our two husky pups Sushi and Mochi.

So I totally understand the pain and trauma you are going through and I don't envy the choices you are going to have to make.  Let's just hope for the best...either that it is a misdiagnosis or that if it is cancer, it is contained.  There is no right or wrong decision if it is cancer in regards to how to handle it...I truly believe that.  It is in our nature to second guess whatever decision we make when it comes to that.  I keep thinking I spent so much money trying to "save" Sashimi and put her through an operation and pain and maybe I should have just let her go sooner.  But then you stop and realize if you had made the opposite decision you would have the same doubts in reverse.  So do what is in your heart, if that is what it comes down to, and try not to question yourself.

Elyse, so very sorry to be reading this.  We are going through a situation with Eisa currently.  Our vet at first was concerned it was bone cancer or a fracture, but the x-Rays showed normal bone structure.  I have known two people, who have had dogs with bone cancer.  It's not a joy ride, that's for sure.  All the best for Suka.

I am so sorry to hear this :( If it is indeed cancer and the vet feels that amputation will stop the spread then that is what I would do. Have seem many happy three legged dogs and from what I understand they adapt quite quickly.

Wishing all the best for a more positive prognosis 

(Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes, everyone!)

UPDATE:

The vet got back to us. He said the radiologist said the x-ray results are inconclusive. Its can either a bone contusion, a combination of bone and tissue damage, or very early stages of bone cancer. But he can't do a biopsy because he doesn't have a 3D image, as he doesn't want to risk any (further?) damage to his tissues.

He said that we can wait 8 or so weeks (the expected recovery time for a bone contusion to heal), but by then the cancer might have spread to the rest of his body. So we're going to get an MRI and then a biopsy to make sure it is cancer, just waiting back from the insurance company to see if its covered (it should be, they can't wiggle out of this one!). If it turns out it is cancer, I think we're going to amputate the leg and shoulder to prevent the spread to other parts of his body and to (hopefully) stop the pain. He said chemo is rarely successful, especially in aggressive cancers like bone cancer. 

The thing is, we're on a tight schedule. I have to go back to university in September, and my parents don't feel comfortable with making any decisions or etc when I'm not there. So that's why we're pushing for further tests now instead of waiting. 

I'll keep everyone updated.

Fingers crossed its not cancer.  They wouldn't treat Noah's cancer with chemo they said the same.  He had the whole area of his site cut out and now he is clear.  Definitely not as drastic as a leg amputation though but I understand how up setting this must be for you.  My thoughts are with you and Suka.

:grouphug: 

UPDATE:

The results are in, and they aren't good.

He definitely has cancer, the CT scan confirmed it. Its on his shoulder blade (scapula) and its 'seeping' into his muscle tissues around it.

Its either osteosarcoma or histiocytic sarcoma, they would need another test to figure it out. But regardless, the treatment options are the same. So far, it hasn't spread to any other part of his body...so that is very good.

We can either do:

A) A partial amputation where they remove part of his scapula (and tissues around it), then chemotherapy for 12-18 months.

or

B) A full amputation of his limb, then chemotherapy for 12-18 months to make sure it isn't spreading anywhere.

or

C) Don't treat, just do palliative care until the pain is too much for the meds, then put him to sleep.

We're meeting with the surgeon tomorrow morning, but we're thinking of doing option A since they said he would be a good candidate for it. If the scapula removal doesn't remove all of it, we can always amputate the full limb later on as well.

We were told the chemotherapy they do in dogs is different than in people - they use different medications and doses (that aren't nearly as strong) and apparently dogs aren't affected or get sick from the chemo. We'll have to talk more about it with the surgeon tomorrow.

Whatever type of surgery we decide, he's going in this Thursday for the surgery. We're going to discuss a lot with the surgeon tomorrow, including things like quality of life and chemo, etc.

I will say again: thank god for pet insurance! The bills are pilling up fast...