Discovered the world of Urbex.

Bambi92

As the title says I've discovered the world of Urbex (Urban Exploration). So far I have only been into two abandoned railway tunnels, an abandoned station and an abandoned amusement park that is now a swamp. It's a thrill looking through these places knowing the stories behind them.

I'll give you all a little inside on the two tunnels and a station my partner and I visited also photos there's a fair few of them :)

The tunnels have been abandoned for 100 years.

Helensburgh Tunnel: this tunnel is one of 7 abandoned tunnels from the old Illawarra railway line. It opened on the 3rd of October 1888 and closed on 30th May 1915. It is 80metres long.

Here are a few photos

Inside looking towards the northern end.

image.thumb.jpg.936c2cdd088664620bf23d96

Inside looking towards the southern end

image.thumb.jpg.2428237e972f8b5d8db34a2b

A wooden beam we aren't sure what this is there for.

image.thumb.jpg.6cc32717dadbaed397aed703

Soot and a lights wiring from when Mushroom Farmers were in the tunnel.

image.thumb.jpg.75680a2f0ac02aabecfb2f67

A place for people to go into when a steam train was coming through the tunnel

image.thumb.jpg.1931b1654414a76a29606bea

Metropolitan Tunnel: the creepiest tunnel I have been in by far. This tunnel opened on 3rd of October 1888 and closed on the 30th May 1915. It is 624 metres long and is blocked off at the southern end by a concrete wall. It has soot built up on the roof from the steam trains that ran through these lines. This tunnel has some very creepy stories to it. It is said to be haunted and have a demon in it. There is a story about a swamp creature living in the tunnel and many many more. I had my own personal experience in this tunnel we went about 200-250 metres into the tunnel through mud, water and rocks down there was some writing on the wall which will be pictured below I read the writing looked down the tunnel and seen something while leaning down watching us, I wanted to go farther to see what it was but my partner freaked and we left haha. Not far past the point we got to is water which goes up to the roof at the end of the tunnel, the tunnel runs on a downward slope, this water is said to have bodies in it, no one knows if this is true or not this tunnel floods almost to the roof when it rains heavy. This tunnel is also pitch black even high powered torches didn't light much up.

now for some photos:

outside the tunnel opening.

image.thumb.jpg.7f2415befd380606b6881019

Inside the tunnel looking towards the southern end.

image.thumb.jpg.1697469c316cb9b09b422119

Looking towards the southern end 

image.thumb.jpg.9ca2e3e0401efef30d0a96d6

Looking towards the southern end 

image.thumb.jpg.6a808288c2cee7f390ee8518

Looking back out of the tunnel

image.thumb.jpg.cc19d7fe22bf54483d4df752

The darkness looking south

image.thumb.jpg.105a3d97ff9b185c9239a06b

The pipe you see in this photo is used to pump the water out of the tunnel when it was drained in 1995

image.thumb.jpg.5c4a8b06c7c10a38eec13fa0

now for the writing:

This is the first piece of writing on the left side wall

image.thumb.jpg.d3dd0787e2c465fbf9624f6f

Right side wall

image.thumb.jpg.1af607f37cd4956ac0919d75

Left side wall down from the above

image.thumb.jpg.b03bb0c9e8159689dd9a1896

These three photos were taken by my partner on a different day he went further in not to much further then I did.

left wall

image.thumb.jpg.7a69b0f2281ad0d25047e7ec

Left wall

image.thumb.jpg.12e69fadf9f0a2d13790708c

The last thing writen on the tunnel before the water got too deep to go any further.

image.thumb.jpg.d3e679d152de853244e1b08c

We we are also starting a YouTube channel about abandoned places around Australia if anyone is interested in that stuff please subscribe to our channel and share it :) we have only just started it so there is only one old video of my partners on there at the moment there will be more uploaded soon we did a video today at Magic Kingdom which will be uploaded some time soon. 

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJRv85Y3aTOu7H6WxbrFBA

Hope you enjoyed the little history and photos :)

Looks good and sounds like a lot of fun as well...

it is a lot of fun went to an abandoned amusement park yesterday and going to an abandoned school on Tuesday. 

Sounds like you've been keeping yourself busy. That tunnel sounds pretty freaky, you're definitely much braver than me!

oh it was freaky! Beautiful though it's amazing the detail and design that went in to these tunnels back then and it's all done my hand as well. They are over one hundred years old and they are still standing.