Cork Screw Anchors any good??

Lindsay & Andrew

Hi all, off camping with Zep at the weekend and wondered if anyone had ideas on how we could tie Zep while on the camp site by the tent?? 

we normally tie a long lead to the car but can't park by the tent on this site. Has anyone experience with the cork screw type anchors? Always a bit scepticle that he'd just rip it out??

I cannot use them with my 2 ...they pull them out like they are matchsticks and unhook the ring...I use 1 metre long stainless steel stakeout pins just for my own peace of mind...

this is what mine looks likestakeoutpin.thumb.jpg.a0ada9a0e08afead3c

I cannot use them with my 2 ...they pull them out like they are matchsticks and unhook the ring...I use 1 metre long stainless steel stakeout pins just for my own peace of mind...

this is what mine looks likestakeoutpin.thumb.jpg.a0ada9a0e08afead3c

And you can always use it as a sword if the zombies attack :lol:

I've  wondered about this too.  I've spoken face to face to quite a few husky owners about it and not many have rated the corkscrew types.  Getting pulled out of the ground was the common complaint.  

Edited by Emma

The one time I tried it Cheza slipped her harness. At the time it wasn't funny and not really relevant I guess but looking back now its kind of funny she took that route rather than pulling it out.

corkscrews depend on the ground really thick heavy clay soils they are ok  rocky sandy soils forget it. also you need the good ones the cheap junk you get in pet shops are a waste of money try a couple of these http://www.ropesdirect.co.uk/ground-anchor-screw/prod_244.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHLNqTxqgiYYcus7K8r0eXKrGZF3_XofkLqfyBdxg8xUaAhnj8P8HAQ

these things will hold a lot of weight just you do have to check them at least once a day

oh important safety notice always ask camp site if there are any buried pipes cables under your pitch, you really don't want to screw into water gas sewer or electric

We forgot to pack ours for our camping trip and as we had stopped to visit my brother on route we asked if he could make us up something (they live way out in the Highlands miles from anywhere so no shops to buy one). He gave us the tethering thing he had for his eagle owl it is a half circle with 2 long pins which go into the ground it was brilliant and held all 4 dogs. No Idea what you call them Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

We've used everything from steel cored washing lines, through screw-ins to now, a stakeout line. Screw-ins are OK but won't take a really hefty tug (but make sure they're screwed all the way in), especially in light soil - we still use them for the German (who doesn't tug and wouldn't go anywhere anyway!). Downside is you have to have a heavy hammer/sledgehammer to put in the pins

Stakeout/Tieout line

20150619_123621.jpg

I have actually had a screw in stake snap on me and Freya is not a big dog ended up in the end fastening her to the break away cable hole on the tow bar. No chance of her moving the car but make sure you use a PVC covered line to prevent scratches