Give me feedback

Marc

Hi All,

Clare posted a topic earlier tonight regarding not liking the new layout. Now this is useful in some ways as without you guys telling me things, I don't know. Bare in mind that the movement of things you will get used to, even if you think you won't. We've been here many times before, and I remember when we moved to the previous version (that everyone now says they liked) everyone hated it lol. Its simply what you're familiar with.

Reality is though, some things need to change and be updated. So at the moment I am working on the skin and playing with it somewhat. One of the items clare mentioned was that the full width layout is not very friendly to use, so I have changed this for the moment to a fixed width to see what people think. Please bare in mind that if you are on a screen with a super high resolution, please don't tell me there is too much blank space either side LOL For most people however this may well be easier to look at? I dunno, but please tell me.

If you have ideas about the skin and things that you think may look better, tell me. Things are broken in the skin? Tell me. I wanna know everything you guys see.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These aren't skin related but I'll list a few things I can think of. 1. We can't see who exactly liked a post, it just tells you x amount of people liked it. 2. We have the top posters of the week/month etc... But not the top thread starters. 3. I can't seem to delete the messages in my inbox. I noticed someone else mentioned this on the other thread too. 4. I'm still seeing Dunc as everyone's avatar on the iPad, lol! :)

Edit: sorry for the block text. tapatalk doesn't acknowledge Spaces between sentences! :(

Marc, 

I work in the computer industry so I get it.  That being said I don't believe in giving criticism without suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the system you use or how much control you have to give you anything specific. So forgive me if anything I suggest is a little vague.  Feel free to ignore me.  Overall I think this is one of the better forums I have been on.

1) The skinnier layout seems to squish the center three topics on the home page.  Latest Reply, Latest Announcements, and New topics are so squished you can't make out the pictures. Might need to get rid of one of them

2) I understand that the skinnier layout is for other users.  Again I dont know how finite control you have but I know that there is a way to detect the resolution of the monitor in code and then change the width accordingly.  You may also be able to use a percentage in your width as another easier way to control the width for different resolutions. 

Thats all I saw so far on the newest change.  I started just after the new forum layout so I can't say the older was better :) 

Hope this helps. 

lets see its not really the look although it does seem more functional less user friendly and welcoming than the previous version.  

PM folder no delete

keep getting daily digest even though I have set all and any notifications to Off I liked the old style sign the last version had that had a highlighted  x has like replied quoted on screen rather then being emailed these comments from the site. I prefer to do all my stuff in the forum not via email,

held over and remembered text from when you were thinking of posting a comment wrote a bunch of it and then decide no you will not post that comment but the site keeps that unused unwanted text

edited to removed fixed items

Edited by PaulG

@PaulG on the gallery of recent pictures...it is still there if you click on home under the logo then a whole new world opens up...

lol ok seems that I am sitting on the forums section as my log in and missing the home page. I didn't even know I was missing the front page

My phone and tablet thanks you for the fixed width too, it looks much better!

I don't really care about the design as long as it's not too bulky and takes a long time to load or has huge images like some forums...

I have the most issues with posting comments or editing them on my Android phone using Chrome browser. It seems to not like the editing box, or whatever you call it. It takes long to load the text input and then either crashes the browser or throws away the message...don't know if it's a but with Chrome or not ;-) Do not have the issue on my Samsung tablet though and also using Chrome...

Thats all I can think of right now :-)

Ooooh Dunc's picture is no longer going all the way down my page.  Cheers Marc.  :up:

Cindy I get a lot of grief in my editing box too.  Sometimes it won't appear, I can't delete text midway through a sentence and other times when I hit post it crashes the whole thing and boots me out, lol.  Im using an old ipad ios5 and can't update it any higher.  

Must say I do like the new look.  It's just the bugs that bother me really.  

Edit: forgot to ask about the signatures.  Can they go back up at some stage? I appreciate that there are bigger fish to fry right now than sod around over some signatures.  But it would be nice to see them back eventually if possible.  :)

Edited by Emma

The editing seems to go better when I use my phone's internal browser and not chrome, but I have issues with uploading pics from the phone too...it goes till you select from the gallery and then it returns to the same post but with no images attached :-(

I've noticed when I first go on the forum the page is still the wrong size for my laptop. Then once I click on another page it then seems to sort itself out and fits.  

And now when I click the home button its gone back to a variable page size.

The editing seems to go better when I use my phone's internal browser and not chrome, but I have issues with uploading pics from the phone too...it goes till you select from the gallery and then it returns to the same post but with no images attached :-(

Is this through tapatalk or directly through your browser? Also what phone?

I've noticed when I first go on the forum the page is still the wrong size for my laptop. Then once I click on another page it then seems to sort itself out and fits.  

what browser? Also could you let me know the resolution on your screen pls?

I have the tapatalk app my feed is a bunch of stuff I've never had before all of a sudden. (Sports and Cbs etc) I like the new look, I just can't find how to post anything lol.

We don't control the tapatalk app unfortunately. It seems however that you may have added more forums on there lol

I use Chrome. No idea of the resolution, I'm no techie ;) I may need help on that one but I bake a mean chocolate cake :)

Right click on desktop, select display properties and it will give you your screen resolution. I will need that so I can test it from here and correct it

1. We can't see who exactly liked a post, it just tells you x amount of people liked it.  4. I'm still seeing Dunc as everyone's avatar on the iPad, lol! 

FIXED

2. We have the top posters of the week/month etc... But not the top thread starters.

In progress

3. I can't seem to delete the messages in my inbox. I noticed someone else mentioned this on the other thread too.

FIXED

1) The skinnier layout seems to squish the center three topics on the home page.  Latest Reply, Latest Announcements, and New topics are so squished you can't make out the pictures. Might need to get rid of one of them

FIXED

2) I understand that the skinnier layout is for other users.  Again I dont know how finite control you have but I know that there is a way to detect the resolution of the monitor in code and then change the width accordingly.  You may also be able to use a percentage in your width as another easier way to control the width for different resolutions. 

Its actually already responsive in design. To be honest not sure why people didn't like the fluid layout, but I guess everyone is different. What it has now is a maximum width and therefore it will still reduce in size if you go smaller, but there is a maximum width that it will allow for the site as a whole. I will be doing both versions once I finish with layout changed so that way people can chose their own preference.

PM folder no delete

FIXED

eep getting daily digest even though I have set all and any notifications to Off I liked the old style sign the last version had that had a highlighted  x has like replied quoted on screen rather then being emailed these comments from the site. I prefer to do all my stuff in the forum not via email,

Im gonna need example of these so I can take a look for you as it shouldn't be doing this.

held over and remembered text from when you were thinking of posting a comment wrote a bunch of it and then decide no you will not post that comment but the site keeps that unused unwanted text

Thats correct. It holds the text you were writing. This way you can write a ton of text and go out, go to another topic and reply, brush your teeth, have a weeks holiday, then come back and that mass of text is still there waiting for you.

I have the most issues with posting comments or editing them on my Android phone using Chrome browser. It seems to not like the editing box, or whatever you call it. It takes long to load the text input and then either crashes the browser or throws away the message...don't know if it's a but with Chrome or not ;-) Do not have the issue on my Samsung tablet though and also using Chrome...

This is highly likely to be because of the age of the browser. As with anything else, technology moves on. This is the very latest and will not support old browsers.

Edit: forgot to ask about the signatures.  Can they go back up at some stage? I appreciate that there are bigger fish to fry right now than sod around over some signatures.  But it would be nice to see them back eventually if possible.  :)

FIXED

This sounds like you are not on the correct skin on re-reading this. Click on "Theme" at the bottom of the page and check you are using the v4.0.11 test version. 

Edited by Marc

Thank you! I have a silly question though. Before the upgrade when I typed in the coding for husky owners emoticons on tapatalk it would show on the forum as the actual emoticon. Since the upgrade it no longer converts into the picture..... :doglaugh: :rofl: How come? Any ideas?