Help! Advice please!!!! Puppy got the wrong shots...

loudlucky

So I bought Tsunami from a 'reputable' breeder or so I thought! All info I got on them seemed legitimate...

Until I took Tsunami to my vet today and he almost screamed bloody murder!!! Apparently he was given the wrong shots on 6 weeks and it was not done by a vet... the booklet I got with the puppy looked just like the ones we get here from our vets and it had the stickers on from the vaccines just like ours...but I did not notice the stickers say for 'animal use' and my vet said it should say 'dog use' ...

So double the price of the pup for the vet bills later and I have loads of medication for him, vet canned dog food and the breeder is not answering back!

Anyone know the following medication?

Pro-Kolin+

He gave Eukanuba Veterinary diets canned food

And special deworming pills (not like the ones Smokey got) 

Also he restarted the vaccinations with the ones he gives... because he said the others are not worth anything for a dog and could have killed him!

Pro kolin paste is what we get from the vets to help clear up runny poop.  It's good stuff for their intestines and I think it had pro biotics in it too.  You can get it without prescription online too.  Works out cheaper. 

That's really shocking to hear about the vaccinations!  What on earth was it they used?!   :o

Edited by Emma

Thanks Emma, I have to give it to him tonight, its in a tube thing... do they eat it easily?

And yes, I am not going to leave this here, I'm going to ask my vet what I can do about it... its so corrupt here these days so it doesn't even help to report them to the SPCA!

Ice ate it out the tube easily but Bear hates it with a passion!  It looks like clay and not the best texture to mix in with food but that's pretty much what we had to do to get her to eat it.  It's a very messy way though as the paste leaves chalky slime everywhere that's a nightmare to clean off.  

Edited by Emma

Thanks Emma, hopefully he will like it! Good to know its messy before I start...

Thanks for the link Rob! Looks way complicated, but hopefully the info will help a lot! And I don't think the breeder will pay...they've definitely blocked my number as not even my Whatsapp messages goes through.

on the other paw.

label reads for animal use only, a dog is an animal so it might be the vet who is jerking you around.

you could contact your government department that deals with the legal issue of animal vaccinations and ask them to check the drug name and batch number to see if it is a valid drug to be used on and for vaccinating dogs. If they say yes ask for it in writing and take it from there as to who you rat out.

Not saying its the same but it is in some countries ok for breeders and kennels to vaccinate as long as they have a valid certification from the state.

Edited by PaulG

The breeder that we have acquired two of our Huskies from, gives them their shots in-house.  However, she uses meds that are species-specific.  It is a violation of law in the US, to use a vaccination for say a horse, reduce the the dosage, and give to a dog.  People do it because it's often times much, much cheaper, but it's risky and can result in death.  I would follow the advice of your vet.  Just make sure you are not being drawn into the prescription food for too long, as often times it's not as good of food as you can get from other than your vet.

Would especially think about the food. Vets are all said and done, businesses. Is the food good? Quite likely yes. But think of it as the equivalent of someone saying you need paracetamol and giving you the branded £5.99 ones when if you went to asda they are 40p and identical. Sure there is some crap out there but there is also some that's better and cheaper Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

First off, he loves the Pro Kolin, so thankfully no issues there! (Except if you take into account Smokey who goes hysterical when she smells it!)

The vet only sold me 3 cans and said I can mix his puppy kibble in from day 2, he's not really in the money making business with giving you unnecessary things... he did say he'd prefer not to keep him on it for too long.

The breeder's husdand sent me a msg this morning saying the shots was done at the state vet in the nearest town and he will send me the details later so I can confirm... so will give him time till tonight...

It's not as much the fact that the vaccines say for animal use (Wollie's older vaccines looked the same and only said animal use too) its the fact that he was given a vaccine for some kind of virus that they are not suppose to get and especially not puppies at 6 weeks! My vet also believes the vaccines booklet to be fake and that it was not done by a registered vet. It is not legal here for anyone except a vet to vaccinate animals. That vaccine he got at 6 weeks irritated and most likely inflamed his intestines...

Looks like the treatment is helping, because his poop was not as runny this morning at 3am and he eats a bit better too! 

When Ice was little he was in and out if the vets about his incessant diahhroeah.  He had the pro kolin and vet cans (royal canin Gastro intestinal) for a while.

The problem in Ice's case turned out to be that he couldn't handle dry dog food.  Regardless of the quality it still ran through him.  Took us months to work it out.  It wasn't until someone on here mentioned that they had to give their dog chappie that I thought I'd give it a try and it worked.  

Good to hear it's already starting to help a bit, that's very promising.  :) 

old home cure for upset stomach

from health food shop and some big grocery store buy a packet of arrowroot and either sprinkle a teaspoon full on his food or mix up with a little milk on stove into a custard like paste and let him eat that. just add to his food for two or three days and it should help his stomach and bowels

I hope Tsunami is ok and I hope the breeder is telling the truth.   Have we pics of him yet????   If so point me to them as I can't resist cute little puppy pics   :)

some piccies here Kati...  http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/topic/68568-smokey-meets-tsunami/