Quick question, what do yous put in your crates for them to entertain themselves?

JessicaJenson

great help...............

I know...but there will be enough replies coming no doubt...if mine would be crated they would get a frozen kong filled with tuna some treats and peanut butter ends...:D

nothing only time I would/have used crates is when driving rest of the time they have free run of the house or are if wet from swimming  or wet weather walks shut in the kitchen. Dog toys are balls squeaky toys, ropes  just normal dog stuff.

Ice has two antlers in his crate.  He doesn't seem to touch them for ages but then one day he'll start chewing away on it and refusing to come out of his crate, lol.

Edited by Emma

Another husky.  :D

My guys love elk antlers more than anything in the world but I don't leave them unattended in the crate - they really chew them down into nubs over time and at that point they are a choking hazard.  Mochi especially will try to fully eat and swallow all kinds of crap.  Sushi would probably be ok with them unattended though...he's got a pretty weak jaw for a husky.

The frozen peanut butter kongs work pretty well for 20-30 minutes which is about all you can ask for.  Other toys in the crate especially plush toys will get entirely eaten if I leave them in there.

It's really about getting them tired and training them to know the crate is a "resting" place.  My guys over time have learned the crate is where they go to chill out and relax.  They get a treat every time they go but the expectation is time for a rest.  The crate is always open in the corner of the living room while we are around as well and sometimes they just go in on their own and take naps.  It's just a plastic tray and a cage but psychologically its a place of comfort.

My previous girl was not trained so properly with the crate and viewed it as a prison so the only solution for her when she was younger and I had to use the crate was to make sure she was tired.

Edited by BKarchitect