Is my 5yr old male too skinny?

jonnyc4t

Odin just recently got groomed but seems rather skinny to me. He's been on a new food (Sojo veggie mixed with boiled hamburger) for a few months now and its cleared a lot of up his regurgitation issues, seems he can't digest kibble well. I'd hate to have to go back to kibble, he seems so much happier off it. We walk no less than 3 miles a day (almost always 7 days a week) so maybe he's just fit?

These were taken a few minutes ago. I have no real way to weigh him so last night I weighed myself then picked him up and weighed myself again (LOL). The difference was 54lbs, he usually is around 55-56lbs. What do you guys think?

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

My boy is exactly the same .. everyone and every vet I've asked said he's fine. Wouldn't want him losing any more weight but he's probably just a lean husky. Is he still intact? Usually intact males are a bit leaner too.

Hi Johnny, good to see you.  :)

How old is Odin now?  Ice was fairly thin until he was around two years ish and then he seamed to fill out all of a sudden.  

Huskies are naturally supposed to be lean dogs, not stocky like some other breeds.  There's a thread here somewhere about identifying ideal body conditions.  I'll have a look for it and post the link if I find it.  :)

Found it, here it is.  It's a fair bit of reading but really informative on all body conditions.  :)

Edited by Emma

Hey there good to see you again. He looks good to me, mine are about the same shape and weight. Nikko is the slimmest and weighs about the same as Odin Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husky's will look thinner after they have been groomed.Have you talked to your vet when you go for check up what ideal weight should be for your dog?Also have you talked with your vet about his diet.Great that it has helped with not being able to tolerate kibble.

Thanks everyone!

I knew he'd look skinnier after his groom but with the new diet it got into my head especially because the healthy pet store I bought it from mentioned potential weight loss with that food. Haven't been to the vet in a few months but both Odin and Ahri are due for some vaccines so I will get him looked over while I am there.

Emma - he is now 5! :D

Lol! Why do I keep thinking of him as a pup? I promise I'll try to remember......strong emphasis on the word try. Can barely remember what I was doing 5 minutes ago. Ha ha.

My little girl is a puppy, maybe confusing the two? However I am not around here as often as I'd like to be so I forgive you....THIS TIME.